Author Topic: Favorite rasp?  (Read 2991 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Favorite rasp?
« on: July 19, 2014, 01:59:37 pm »
Looking to get a new one.  What do you like?  I'm considering Shinto.

Offline autologus

Re: Favorite rasp?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 03:23:56 pm »
I have a ferriers rasp, nicholson 50, Dean Torges UBR-10, flat bastard file, and flat mill file and I use them all.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 03:26:37 pm »
I havn't used one yet but pearlie swears by his, I have a real good ferries rasp  and a few others that I use
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 04:06:04 pm »
I have several rasps and files, and use them all the time throughout bow building. I sometimes use some of my friends' rasps as well, so I've handled quite a variety. Only hold a shinto rasp once, but I know it is a good tool and some experienced bowyers highly recommend it. I do like a farriers rasp as well, although I don't own one myself. If you do get a farriers rasp, I would recommend the biggest, heaviest, bulkiest one you can get. 14"x1½" is a good size. Wider is better. I've just purchased a Bahco (that's the brand) cabinet rasp/file. It's 8"x1" and flat, one side course rasp, one side a smooth file. It's very sharp and removes wood easily, leaving a smooth surface. I use my half round file a lot as well. I would recommend not only getting a flat rasp, but also a half round one.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Pat B.

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 04:08:51 pm »
I really like the Shintos rasp.. You have the option of the coarse side or the finer toothed side and they both work very well..

Also use the #50 Nick a lot... With it's convex surface on one side it's almost a must around the fades, for me...
Friends are the family we choose

Offline WillS

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 04:34:12 pm »
I use a Dreadnought rasp for everything, from roughing out a stave to chasing rings.  It takes off pounds of wood if used in anger, but can be super delicate as well.  Totally changed my bow making experience when I discovered it.

Offline Will H

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 05:18:40 pm »
It's #49 & #50 for me! I've used a Shinto quite a lot.... Feel cheap in comparison IMHO.  :-\ I know a lot of guys that love em.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 12:12:20 am »
That dreadnought looks interesting.

The local ties ends has a flat farriers rasp and I only see one side of that being useful.  The rasp side seems too aggressive to work!

Shintoism are on sale at the big online and local wood crafting store.  I'd like something curved on one side and flat on the other.   Anyone have experience with the iwasaki medium cut files?  I just bought a silky saw and love it!

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 12:25:11 am »
49 and 50 for me with the 49 getting the most work.