Author Topic: isinglass as a glue  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Newindian

isinglass as a glue
« on: July 18, 2014, 05:31:22 pm »
I'm come across this in research apparently it is almost as good as sinew glue and much better then Knox has anyone used it before. It is a cheap and made from fish bladders to clear white wines.
I like free stuff.

Offline Badger

Re: isinglass as a glue
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 06:03:36 pm »
  I have used it with no issues. I am not so sure that it comes from the fish air bladders of the specified species I no longer remember but it does work fine. As for the knox, why is that different from hide glue? As far as I know it is hide glue.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 01:53:29 pm »
Apparently the collagen chains in Knox is shorter then other glues, I don't know if this is actually true or if it actually affects the bond strength, but it got me interested in try ing isinglass. How do you use it as a glue?
I like free stuff.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 02:18:28 pm »
Put the pieces in cold water 24 hours before you want to use it. The dry glue will swell and become jellylike.
It can then be dissolved easily in warm water.
For wood to wood laminations you will need to size each surface a couple of times with thin glue. Let it dry well (without heating) before adding the next coat. However heating the parts before coating will help the glue be absorbed.
When you are ready for the actual glue-up make up a thicker glue (30% by solution) heat both parts, coat well (you can't use too much!) and apply clamps. You want to make sure it is clamped before the glue starts to gel. If you find the glue gelling before you have the clamps on you should flood the gelled glue with hot thinner glue (10% or so).
These sort of glues give a very strong bond but require very well mating surfaces. They also contract on drying giving very nice gluelines.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 02:42:47 pm »
  The only think I don't like about the fish glue is working time durring hot summer months. I try to use it early morning or late evening if I am working outside. Not much different than tb3 when it is hot out.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 12:42:46 am »
Great glue! To follow the turks method- mix a little in with good sinew /hide glue to slow down dry time and give you more time to work with your backing