Author Topic: American Elm  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
American Elm
« on: July 17, 2014, 11:58:20 pm »
Does anyone have experience with American Elm?  I just had the good fortune (or maybe not) to get 3 American Elm logs from a friends yard. The tree died this year and it looks like a grub killed the tree. I know I will need to go down a ring to get good wood.  It looks like the grubs only affected the very outer layer of wood.  My question for those experienced with this wood is do you think it would be worth splitting these logs into staves?  I know Elm does not split easy. One log is 18 inches, one is 9 inches and the other is 13 inches.

Thank you, Mike.

Offline bambule

Re: American Elm
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 06:00:55 am »
Elm is worth to try but your logs are very short - do you want to splice them?
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 07:03:50 am »
I think he means across the stump. ;) :) Maybe give it a try,I have only used Winged Elm and it is fine bow wood, most Elm is tough to split,my concern would be it's a dead standing tree,usuall dead standing white wood is no good,you can make a  Minni bow from a sliver and give it a bend test to check the wood out, if it bend good,no dry rot then give it a go,never know but from what I have seen it's usually not worth the trouble.JMO.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 08:14:15 am »
I wouldn't mess with it, but I have options galore. If I was desperate for wood, Id try it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Swampman

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 08:25:22 am »
Thanks Pappy. I think I will try a mini bow and see what happens. I was hoping that since this tree only died this year that the wood may still be salvageable. I think I will start with the smallest log and see what I have before I split the bigger logs. I know it won't split easy.  If nothing else I have some good firewood.

Bambule, the logs are 6 ft long so should have plenty of length.

Thank you.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 08:52:49 am »
Dead standing whitewood is iffy at best for bow wood. I'd make firewood from it myself.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 09:11:26 am »
Elm deteriorates very quickly. You may be able to see the grubs, but damage done by fungi and bacteria is not always visible. Split the smallest log (which is most likely to be degraded) and do a bend test with some pieces. A minibow is good as well. If that test turns out good, you can go ahead and split the other logs as well. Pay close attention for any discoloration or change in texture in the wood.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Swampman

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 06:13:32 pm »
Well I no longer care if it will make a bow.  I just split the smallest log and at one point had all six of my metal wedges stuck in the log.   >:(  I did get it split in half but the wood looks powdery all the way through. I am really not desperate for bow wood but I just had to try.  At least I will end up with a bunch of fire wood.  Thanks for everyone's advice.

Mike