Author Topic: traffic on "bows"  (Read 10343 times)

Offline J05H

Re: traffic on "bows"
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2014, 04:11:19 am »
I think the Bows section should stay the way it is. Its good that people of all skill levels are all in the same place. It means that there are  experienced guys around to answer novice questions and the novices get to learn without asking by following the discussions of the experienced bowyers. It would be cool to have a sort of gallery archive of completed bows to peruse for inspiration, but I think they should still be posted here first.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2014, 04:30:20 am »
You could do some cool things if the forums were a bit more advanced.

Keep everything in the same place, but tag finished bows as "finished bow", with the option to filter the "Bows" section to show only "finished bow".

Functionality that probably doesn't exist though, I guess.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2014, 07:15:16 am »
Bow section has gotten a little cluttered over the last few years and that's why I kind of quit going to it :-\

I think a bowyer's question sub forum and finished bows would be plenty and would not separate newcomers from old timers.

It seems like a lot of good advice gets typed in and then two weeks later the same question arises and the post is buried and hard to find with search function for the site. No sense in reinventing the,wheel so often on fast flight string and heat corrections ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2014, 07:42:12 am »
I think a tree ID ? subforum would be good too.  Just my opinion, but those questions come up very frequently and often are repeated within days.

Offline redhawk55

• bowXplosion
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2014, 08:07:59 am »
I second the idea of a much more detailed search- function, would help a lot.

Steve, I like your idea of an international Primitive flightbow club very much. I guess thereŽll be a forum/network included? If so, I would propose to use the RED MATRIX- network, it is free you can even set it up selfhosted. It is working like the common social networks but much more secure. I' ve set it up as a private network for our family. For the RED MATRIX go here: https://www.redmatrix.ca/&JS=1

I could set up the internet presence of an international Primitive flightbow club based on the RED MATRIX.

What should be the next steps?

Michael
..........the way of underdoing.............

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2014, 09:18:43 am »
Primitive Archer would not go for a gallery, it would use up too much bandwidth.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2014, 09:47:48 am »
PA is lean and sleek.  I like it that way.  If it were bloated with tons of subforums I would miss out on too much.  It would also mean a ton of work for our great mods moving topics that don't fit in where they are posted.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline okie64

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2014, 10:00:57 am »
I like it the way it is. No need to clutter it up with more subforums. I use the search engine quite a bit on here and even if I dont find exactly what Im looking for it usually gets me pretty close. Just my opinion :)

Offline campx

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2014, 10:37:26 am »
So, is osage a good bow wood? :laugh:

I like this forum the way it is.  A couple times a week, I read through every post on the first page of the bows section; I have learned a tonne by reading everything I can.  Keep it.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2014, 11:57:50 am »
I like PA the way it is... I dont go to the "other" sites anymore because its easier for my hillbilly arse to navigate this site, lol.. Our search system definately needs improvement but I do understand that this site is a free gift and only limited time and funds can go into it.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline bubby

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2014, 01:23:21 pm »
come on guy's I know there is always a cycle where the same old questions get asked over and again, don't y'all remember when you were asking the same questions, were they old then, I think so, do we want to discourage the newbies , if you find a post you like pin it or bookmark it it's that simple, this site is pretty easy to get around on as is
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2014, 01:39:06 pm »
Good point Bub.  Never thought to bookmark my faves.  That seems like such a no brainer now ::)

Offline DuBois

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2014, 01:52:26 pm »
I like things the way they are. The only thing I thought was like wapiti said about the tree ID section maybe but not really a need.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2014, 01:58:00 pm »
been coming here for a little over a year now...what i knew about bow building could fill a thimble...lol...anyway,,yeah some questions get old but now you very experienced guys can pass on em and let folks like me take a crack at em .. if guys like me are steering someone in the wrong direction yall step in and point the right way out...this site is closer to a real little town than most or all others ive been to....i guess what im trying to say although not very well..lol..i like it the way it is ..search engine could be better but as ive learned more..i pass it on like you experienced guys did for me ..its self replicating ...i dont answer questions like whats a good bow wood cuz i know  someone else will...if i see noone has given an answer for some time then i will try to help...seems a very homogeneuos way and like a COMMUNITY ...which is what we are folks...sorry for the ramble...carry on.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2014, 04:54:21 pm »
I guess the bottom line is if I would just learn to read faster then I could get thru them all when it gets busy
but the down side would be when I can't go to the Classic then I would really be board and might end up taking on another hobby  :laugh: :laugh:
this thing about dies during the Classic
have not seen anything here worthy of bothering the mods with yet,  carry on
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !