Author Topic: cracking not straightening  (Read 5599 times)

Offline GaryR

Re: cracking not straightening
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 07:44:23 pm »
sounds like he is getting it too hot with a heat gun it only takes a few seconds to get it up to temp..you may have the gun too close also....gut

BINGO.    Less heat and more pressure has done the trick, THANKS!! After the first try I started using more heat and less pressure thinking the pressure was stressing it, I was wrong.

Thanks gutpile, you have relieved my blood pressure and in turn lengthened my life.

Offline GaryR

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 07:53:16 pm »
When choosing native cane pick only the ones that the paper like sheath is gone or greatly deteriorated. Also when immature cane dries it will have longitudinal wrinkles. Mature cane has a smooth surface.

I remember you telling me this some time ago before I cut my first batch. Couple years later, I'm hearing it again. I remember not seeing any paper the first time, and could only find some nearly fallen off the other day when I cut my 2nd batch. Any idea why I'm not seeing immature first year grow? Or am I blind?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 08:26:52 pm »
It might depend of the specie of cane you are cutting. Most cane growing in the US is probably an Asiatic exotic.  The hill cane here is sending up new shoots now and has been for about a month.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GaryR

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 09:04:34 pm »
It might depend of the specie of cane you are cutting.

Is there any decisive way off figuring out what species I'm getting? Does it really matter?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 11:15:04 pm »
No, the actual species doesn't matter. It is arrows we are making and if they work, use them. Different species have different growth habits. I know the native American canes but not much about the exotics. Where do you live? You might have native cane there but most of the native stuff is in the eastern half of the country and not too far north.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GaryR

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2014, 01:34:27 pm »
I live in North Texas. I have doubts about this stuff being native. A lot of phragmites grow naturally here but I'm pretty sure the shafts I cut were transplants.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2014, 01:43:23 pm »
Native cane like river cane and switch cane should e growing in north Texas, at least in the eastern section. Switch cane makes very good arrows.

Offline GaryR

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 04:51:25 pm »
Well, whatever it is, I know how to straighten it now. Thanks for your help.

gutpile

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2014, 11:57:05 am »
glad I could help ya Gary... cane is my thing..lol...I can get it as straight and as true as any store bought material....when I harvest my cane I put a quick pass on the bad bends then bundle tightly to let dry...this helps in the second phase of straightening... rock on brother...love to see em when done...gut