Author Topic: latest from archeologists  (Read 1606 times)

Offline lostarrow

latest from archeologists
« on: July 15, 2014, 12:40:38 am »
http://www.archaeology.org/news/2305-140714-egypt-conflict-cemetery

It looks like the earliest hard evidence of man using bows has pushed back the dates by another few thousand years. To my knowledge the bog bows from Northern Europe had the hard evidence at about 9 000-10 000 years ago , with the knowledge that technology that advanced doesn't show up overnight.  Now the latest  findings are pointing toward effective use of bows in warfare at about 13 000 years ago. Once again, we know that being able to make a bow effective enough for that must have taken some time to develop.  Something new every day!

Offline Hrothgar

Re: latest from archeologists
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 01:02:54 am »
Interesting find lostarrow; indeed having a large group of foe armed with bows and arrows does indicate a familiarity with and knowledge of developed weaponry. Thanks for posting.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 01:30:55 am »
Yep, quite interesting.

I reckon bows have been around for way longer, but its finding evidence which is the difficult part.

I'm sure if you had figured out flintknapping then bending a stick can't have been too far behind. To me the discovery that rocks break into shapes that are sometimes sharp and the discovery that thin wood returns quickly to its original shape are something you'd figure out very very early in the piece.

Bread and beer, now there's a couple of innovations ;)

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 03:56:00 am »
Yes the holmguaard is an advanced bow and no mistake. They must have been around for a lot longer than 10,000 years or so.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 10:34:52 am »
Thanks for the article, lostarrow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!