Author Topic: Cornus mas flat 55/28 (No. 46)  (Read 5562 times)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
Cornus mas flat 55/28 (No. 46)
« on: July 13, 2014, 10:09:55 am »
This is another cornus mas bow, in this case a flat with stiff outer limbs.
I have several staves from that wood and will try to find out the best matching design. The wood is extreme dense and heavy.
The back has some character with humps and bumps, the remaining cambium sparks add a bit color on that white wood.
The stave was thin, so I decided to try a leather overlay (two layers) on the back. This wood is so nice to work with – I could't resist doing some carvings on the handle.
Limbs are flat, on the inner halves with a shallow HLD.
This bow is a good average shooter, but I feel the limbs are too heavy for excellent performance. Imo this is not the best design for this wood.
This bow is one of the few bows which took little or no set – it's under ½”, the reason is the super dense wood for sure.

she is 60½" ntn

Enjoy and excuse the graphic fd pic

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 03:28:02 am by simson »
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

blackhawk

Re: Cornus mas flat 55/28
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 10:15:54 am »
Cool....maybe shave some off the sides in the outers to pick up a lil better performance?  ??? Interesting handle  ::) dogwoods good wood for sure ;)

Offline Benedikt

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 10:16:35 am »
Wow! Awesome ;D
Nice eyecatcher ;)
Wo genau aus Bayern bist du? :D
A dream is not reality, but who is to say which is which?

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 10:32:01 am »
Nice looking bow Simon. pretty fun playing around with the handle isn't it?
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 10:35:11 am »
Looks sweet.  Nice work on the carvings.  Looks a bit similar to our Non flowering Dogwood.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 10:42:36 am »
Excellent! Thanks for posting these two Cornus mas bows, Simon! I like this one a lot. Your staves seem a bit more straight grained than the ones I have, with fewer knots. I like the width profile in this one, although I can imagine it is slightly too wide, given the high specific gravity of this wood. Since the wood is so dense and elastic, it can probably handle a narrower design. I do like the fact that this bow is pretty short. Seems to be good for the wood, right? I really like that tiller; you nailed it!
The handle is pretty interesting. I understand it'll fit only your hand and is made to measure. But is it actually comfortable? It looks so...I dunno...weird.

I've actually worked on my two staves of Cornus sanguinea yesterday. I reduced the 2" saplings I have to help in the drying process. I only made them half round, basically. The wood is still green, but it feels less dense than Cornus mas. Otherwise it looks about the same, with maybe a bit fewer knots.
So what is your next design with this wood going to be like? What would be the best design for this wood, in your opinion?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline JonW

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 10:52:09 am »
Very cool Simon. The length really seems to suit the wood and bow.

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 11:02:49 am »
   wow very very cool bow, cool handle

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 12:41:38 pm »
Very cool work man. 

Offline Weylin

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 01:00:28 pm »
Looks great, Simon. Glad to see your bows again.

Offline simson

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 01:36:29 pm »
Cool....maybe shave some off the sides in the outers to pick up a lil better performance?  ??? Interesting handle  ::) dogwoods good wood for sure ;)

Yeah Chris, maybe that's a way. What do you think about reflexing/flipping?

Wow! Awesome ;D
Nice eyecatcher ;)
Wo genau aus Bayern bist du? :D

40km north of Regensburg

Very cool Simon. The length really seems to suit the wood and bow.

Thanks Jon, but I think the bow should be shorter or more like an elb - no flat

Thanks Bob

Nice looking bow Simon. pretty fun playing around with the handle isn't it?

Yes Cody it was fun. This wood is a dream for carving, you can do sharp details on it.

Excellent! Thanks for posting these two Cornus mas bows, Simon! I like this one a lot. Your staves seem a bit more straight grained than the ones I have, with fewer knots. I like the width profile in this one, although I can imagine it is slightly too wide, given the high specific gravity of this wood. Since the wood is so dense and elastic, it can probably handle a narrower design. I do like the fact that this bow is pretty short. Seems to be good for the wood, right? I really like that tiller; you nailed it!
The handle is pretty interesting. I understand it'll fit only your hand and is made to measure. But is it actually comfortable? It looks so...I dunno...weird.

I've actually worked on my two staves of Cornus sanguinea yesterday. I reduced the 2" saplings I have to help in the drying process. I only made them half round, basically. The wood is still green, but it feels less dense than Cornus mas. Otherwise it looks about the same, with maybe a bit fewer knots.
So what is your next design with this wood going to be like? What would be the best design for this wood, in your opinion?

Jorik, I've made those handles now on different bows. Believe me, when friends or customers come in my shop they always say ohh my -  this handle is exactly made for me, it fits perfect.
And yes it is comfortable.

You're right, I also think a narrower design should be tested. I will do it on one of the upcoming projects, I have several stave in my pile.

Thanks Chuck

Thanks Matt

Thanks Weylin, always a matter of time to visit PP (today I'm alone at home, weather is rainy ...) :laugh:
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline 4dog

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 02:35:35 pm »
i love this bow...the handle is an idea i have been kicking around in my head..im inspired..just cool all the way around!!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 04:51:08 pm »
Very nice work Simon
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 07:45:43 pm »
Nice bow with a sweet handle design.  I like the leather build up

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 08:41:17 pm »
Excellent tiller! Very nice handle. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!