Author Topic: True stone age hunting set  (Read 9949 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

True stone age hunting set
« on: July 12, 2014, 07:07:48 pm »
I was torn as to whether post this is here or in ooga booga, but I chose here... for some reason..lol 
Here is a picture of my personal hunting set I am using this year. Notice I have made numerous fancy, beautifully enhanced bows, but this one is rather bland. The reason for this is actually quite special. This entire hunting set, bow, string, arrows, points, and quiver are all made with true stone age tools. Not a single modern tool has touched any of this set. Not only that, I documented the entire process and will be either producing another book and/or dvd about the entire process. I will give you the basics on this set now, but I will certainly let you all know when the documentation is available!
The entire set is made from Florida materials and I only used native Florida stone tools. The bow is made from White stopper (aka Florida snakewood) The string is sinew, arrows are cane, fletched with random feathers picked up here and there. Goose, duck, turkey, etc. (all legal ones though) Different feathers whether secondary, primary or tail feathers called for slightly diffrent styles in fletching, but each is wrapped with sinew, burned with a cherry coal and cut with a stone flake. They are all done in some variation of the eastern 2 fletch. The points are all local, ground fired cherts and agatized coral. They are glued with pitchglue and wrapped in sinew. The quiver is grape and jasmine vines woven around a rivercane frame. The shoulder strap is stone cut and twisted deer rawhide.
While we may live in a modern world where power tools and even metal tools make short work of stone, cane and wood, it is exciting to build a true stone age set to hunt with. Using only true stone age technology to kill a deer is probably going to be the pinnacle of my archery career. I don't think it will be anymore difficult that killing a deer with modern made, primitive equipment, but it will be more satisfying to know that I did it with a set that mirrors exactly what stone age man was capable of producing
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline paulsemp

Re: True stone age hunting set
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 07:16:42 pm »
Very cool 8)  that is what it is all about!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 08:41:43 pm »
Real fine set for hunting. It certainly gets my attention and a guy just can't help but respect the amount of work and skill that went into crafting it all. Please keep us posted on your hunting season, I have no doubt you'll have success and I'll be pulling for ya.
I'll be watching for the book and (or) dvd  8)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline BlackHillsScout

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 09:37:36 pm »
Really nice, Do your arrows fly the same?

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 10:19:56 pm »
Ryan,  My hat's off to you sir...That's the type of stuff I really enjoy seeing on PA man...I wish you luck this year hunting and furthering your primitive quest...Everything is stunning, thank you for posting...Wish You would post this in the bow section also, I think many more people would see it... 8)
                                                                                                                                           Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 03:18:42 pm »
Very nice set up. What # are you pulling on this bow? Good luck on your hunt this yr. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 03:43:47 pm »
Ryan, do you put some moss or fiber wad in the bottom of your quiver to keep the stone points from touching and getting dull?
Would also help to keep them from rattling I think....
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 06:25:48 pm »
thanks guys.
Ed, I am pulling it about 60# =/- a little. It's pretty stout

nclonghunter,  yup I have the bottom of the quiver stuffed with spanish moss. Those arrows don't budge a bit until pulled!
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline MATTY

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 10:14:45 am »
Love seeing this stuff that's super cool, what an extreme sense of satisfaction you must feel after successfully completing that set. And after you take something with it.... Oh man.... Good luck with you're documentary as well that will be something to look forward to for sure.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 02:15:15 pm »
Dude, this set gets me really excited! Can't wait to see the hunting report!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline 4dog

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 10:21:29 am »
that tackle looks like stuff you could drag thrpugh the brush and not worry about...truly usable tools ..not to be worried about and left on a peg at the house....nice work!!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Zuma

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 02:34:25 pm »
I am glad I didn't miss this post of your abo gear Ryan.
I am impressed with the dedication not to mention the
cabablability of the gear to look good and produce.
I sure hope you document your thoughts as one of those
shafts hits it mark.  ;D
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Chad

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 10:08:06 pm »
I'm pretty sure at least 30 of the views on this post are from me, every time I log on I can't help but look! Great stuff, very inspiring.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 10:15:18 pm »
Wow!!!!!!!!!! I love it!!!
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 09:25:49 am »
EXCELLENT!!  ;D
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold