Author Topic: Dimensions for a hickory ELB?  (Read 1969 times)

Offline logan6742

Dimensions for a hickory ELB?
« on: July 11, 2014, 01:35:09 am »
Hi all. I plan to make an English Longbow out of a board of hickory I recently ordered. I plan to make it 45 lbs @28, and for the bow to be about 70 inches in length. If I want to achieve a draw weight around this area, what dimensions should I use for the bow?

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Dimensions for a hickory ELB?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 08:41:16 am »
So you "ordered" a board of hickory... Where did you order it? A true bowyer, I hope? You mustn't order wood at lumberyards, because they have no clue how straight the grain must be. You must be able to see and select the wood yourself before buying wood at a lumberyard.

If you do get a straight grained board of hickory, it will be possible to make an English longbow from that. Hickory doesn't really like to have a narrow and thick profile such as in an ELB, and tends to take set in such designs. Your best bet would be to make the bow as wide as possible, while still be in the ELB category with 5/8 thickness to width ratio. You may want to trap the back (meaning that you create a trapezoid cross section by angling the sides of the bow, resulting in a belly that is wider than the back). Start with a width of 1 3/8" for the center 12", tapering to ½" nocks. Thickness tapering from 7/8" in the handle to 5/8" nocks. If possible, go slightly longer, say 72".

Remember these are just starting dimensions. Once you've carved the wood to these dimensions, you'll need to start floor tillering and carefully reduce the width and/or thickness to get a good tiller and end near your desired draw weight.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline OffTiller

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 12:16:12 pm »
logan, don't mean to still the thread. Dark soul, what would you trap hickory with? i have been thinking about an elb and have some hickory.
"I seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old, I seek the things they sought."

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 01:31:03 pm »
I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand your question. I was talking about trapping, which is a technique related the cross section (profile) of a bow. It's not like adding a backing, if that's what you're talking about?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286