Author Topic: Christmas Haul  (Read 4168 times)

wvfknapper

Christmas Haul
« on: December 25, 2007, 07:26:28 pm »
Well me and my wife had the day to ourselves,, my 3 children went back to their mothers yesterday and my wife's 2 went to spend the rest of the week with their father so me and the wife went 4 wheeling out on the muddy hill above home.... I found a few good smaller trees on some private property to cut,, cut a decent white elm tree and split the bottom half (never cut white elm again, too stringy and no grain structure, liked to have beat my hind end off on that stuff) cut a nice locust with lots of character , a very clean rock maple, and a couple dogwoods and found some wild plum (very pretty wood) and also found a nice patch of dogbane,,,, overall we had a good Christmas and I got some wood  ;D

wvflintknapper

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Christmas Haul
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 07:37:17 pm »
Nice,  cant beat a day like that. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Wulamoc

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 09:10:56 am »
Good fixins.  What you fixin to make?
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. GEN-21:20

Michigan

wvfknapper

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 06:33:37 pm »
Gonna make bows from them,, need to trim them up a little and seal the ends and wait for them to season,, The plum has an awesome color to it and it looks very dense.

wvflintknapper

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 01:44:16 am »
Cool WV congratulations, thats a good day. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 11:12:33 am »
Just found this one Robert: Digging around after the holiday's, their's a lot I missed. Nice pile of staves ya got there and arra material's - I love seeing what people drag out of the woods :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

wvfknapper

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 04:24:55 pm »
Cowboy

Those are dogbane stalks, wish they were arra shafts, you don't find many shaft materials around here, except native cane which is rare and hardwood shoots when they trim the powerlines.

wvflintknapper

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 07:47:19 pm »
Nice haul . Sounds like a great day in my book.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

wvfknapper

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 08:57:50 pm »
I love being out in the woods gathering what God provided us with for everyday living...................I also got permission from a Coal company to cut some Osage tree's,, I'll take some pictured of the tree's before and during splitting, sort of like a Wood cutting/splitting and preparing for storage Build along  ;D

wvflintknapper

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 09:55:42 pm »
Sounds like fun man - I look forward to seeing your wood gathering adventure's ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.