Author Topic: My work.  (Read 4789 times)

Offline 4dog

Re: My work.
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 02:06:06 am »
love all three...straight up arrow throwin machines..no frills just darn good work!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 03:16:55 am »
those look like some great bows, all three look solid, i like the last one
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 05:09:27 am »
Welcome to PA,nice work,looking forward to seeing more. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 08:45:14 am »
Beautiful bows.  Great craftsmanship, and great photos as well

Offline okie64

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 09:55:52 am »
Great looking bows and very nice camera work!

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 10:25:46 am »
Welcome to the fun.  Those are a couple of really nice bows there.  Fantastic job.  The finish work looks impeccable.  Hope to see more of your work soon.

Offline Will H

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 11:12:23 am »
Welcome to PA! Nice work!!!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 11:28:06 am »
Welcome Sir.  Nice work, all of 'em!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline SA Bowyer

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 06:28:47 am »
Thank you for Your appreciation guys, its very ecouraging. I cant wait to make more bows.

As for my work, now , my main concern is the set of my bows. I know some say its not a problem, that SET HAPPENS but i just dont wont it in my bows. I assume that most of You guys think simmilar:)
The last hickory one took the most...
Ive read some more info about tillering and heat treating and im gonna introduce this tips to my new projects, i hope for good results.
Now I have few staves to reduce but for me it is the less pleasing part of the work and i have much dificulties to start working with them:D My forearm and axe dislike it.
Every other stage is a pleasure to me.

Offline J05H

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 06:58:13 am »
Set is unavoidable. All bows have some set. The best you can do is keep it as low as you can by careful tillering and not over stressing the bow. You seem to have a good handle on that judging by the bows you've posted. How much set are we talking about? None of your pics show an unbraced profile. Anything under 2 inches or so is doing pretty good. If you want, you can induce some reflex before you start tillering, and some or all of it may pull out leaving you with a straight stave when finished. Such a bow would still have some set, but it would be hidden. As far as how to do it, there are others here better qualified to guide you.

By the way, all of those bows look excellent. You're doing great so far.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 07:02:53 am by J05H »
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 07:57:14 am »
I think the number one reason for getting set in your particular case, is the fact that your bows are relatively short. I see most of your bows are 60" or 62", with stiff handles, and are drawn to 28" or even 30". You are overstressing the bows quite a bit. A short length is nice when you are hunting in thick bushes, but otherwise the short length is not necessary. I'm confident that your set will decrease a lot as soon as you start building 68" bows.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline SA Bowyer

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 09:13:57 am »
Ill try to post some pics with the unbraced profiles later this day. Maybe photos will clear some things out

mikekeswick

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 09:35:30 am »
Look into trapping the backs of your bows - especially the hickory. I recommend doing a few experiments with it by making up some small slats of the woods you intend to use and do bend tests with trapped sections versus normal cross sections. I think you'll find the results eye opening. The thinking behind it is that most woods are stronger in tension than they are in compression so essentially you are distributing the bending stresses in a way that the gives the belly a bit of a head start.
I've made various test bows out of tension strong woods. Tillered them to a certain drawlength and then just pulled them further till they took around 3 -4 inches of set. Then i've taken them to the bandsaw and cut them in half along the neutral plane.....the back invariably pulls itself more or less straight and the belly takes more set once the back is cut off. The set on the belly piece is often a few inches greater than when the bow was still 'whole'.
Make of that what you will  ;)

Offline SA Bowyer

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2014, 10:23:30 am »
Sorry i dont understand due to my lacking of some proffesional terminology, what You mean by trapping the bow back?

Ok i get it allready, you mean to make a trapezoid shape of the limb cross section. Seems legit, Ill try it!:)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:52:42 am by SA Bowyer »

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2014, 04:40:23 pm »
Great work, man.
And nice pics also!
Welcome here
Simon
Bavaria, Germany