Author Topic: Trying to reduce set in my bows....to no avail  (Read 8486 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Re: Trying to reduce set in my bows....to no avail
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2014, 10:38:49 am »
so what is a good reflex profile on a caul to accomplish this? To ask it another way, where do I want the reflex to begin?   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2014, 10:42:30 am »
Danny that will elicit a million answers. My opinion? On a typical bow from 62-68" long I add no more than 1/2" of reflex the first half of working limb, then drop it right off about 2-3" from mid limb out. If all goes well you will lose very little. If you look at yours and other bows you will notice most set happens mid limb and out, looks gull wing like. Adding excessive early reflex only adds set to those poor mid limbs, right where the width narrows coincidently. The parallel section of limbs doesn't need any help.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2014, 05:40:33 pm »
Thats a keen observation .  Ill take it to heart. If I have the bow tillered put is it too late. When is best time to induce reflex.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2014, 02:01:59 am »
some guys do it at floor tiller, some guys do it when the bow is bending more too.
heck, some do it the day the tree is cut.
i like doing it when the limbs are bending 6-8 inches

mikekeswick

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2014, 04:22:14 am »
Induce your reflex when the stave is roughly floor tillered. As Peral said reflex should be added like a reverse elliptical tiller. eg increasing towards the tips. Remember that thinner wood can bend further than thick wood.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2014, 12:30:56 pm »
Thanks for the input. The one I am working on right now was almost done tillering 24"( target is 28"). I put it on the caul last night and heat treated it and put in some reflex. Its unbraced profile right now about is reflexed about 1 1/2" at the tips which I have not flipped yet but intend to mildly. I also have not bent it since putting it under the heatgun. I may leave it alone for a couple days as a thunderstorm came thru last night at 4am and I still had the bow clamped out on the picnic table. It got rained on for about 10min. It had the oil still on it so it did'nt get rained on naked. I wipped off the oil and water and put it in front of a fan till I woke up a couple hrs later. Seems dry but I will wait acouple days anyhow. I will post my results in a few days maybe even post the pics when its finished. Its a pretty little thing. 
I'm shooting for 48@28". Its 62" t2t  1-3/8" at fades. Pyramids to 3/4" at 12" from tips and tapers to 1/2" at 6" and then finishes at 1/4"shoulders of the tips.    Danny

Offline JonW

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2014, 03:08:41 pm »
Danny you know you can't post stats and not post pics. I know it will be a shooter.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2014, 06:08:38 am »
Looking forward to seeing the outcome. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good