Author Topic: My Brother's First Bow  (Read 10388 times)

Offline Kegan

My Brother's First Bow
« on: January 03, 2008, 07:44:11 pm »
I did it- I converted another ;)! My brotehr started out as just a gun guy, then glass laminated trad bows. But these bows broke/became too light, so he went to buy one and gave up because it caost way too much for a bow that didn't meet his needs.

So he made one ;D!

I helped him just a little on the tips, basic dimensions, heta treating, and initial tillering, but he did the rest completely on his own.

The details: Hickory, 66" long, 2" wide, 1 1/2" fades and a 4 1/2" grip. The limbs are slightly offset, making it center shot (on purpose, which is better than I've ever done :D). 60# at 26". It has a colonial maple stain, and floor wax finish. Red Boleta overlays, squirrel skin grip plate. It was a little light, as he had take off too much during the initial floor tillering, but luckily the wood was still slightly green, so we cooked it, reflexed it, and heat treated the belly. He flipped the tips, but most pushed out when reflexing. There is less than an inch of string follow. I'm very proud of him, namely of because how htis bow shoots. Even with a heavy paracord string and 800+ grain arrows, it can still shoot at 30 yards with minimal elevation- and he can shoot it well. He's very pleased with it, and hopes to get something with it next season :).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: My Brother's First Bow
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 07:50:47 pm »
Good job on bringing him to the light. The bow looks pretty darn good.  It looks like it might be a little heavy now, he seems to be straining.  I sure hope he don't get all that hair caught in the string.  :o  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 08:06:42 pm »
Thanks Justin ;D! He's really enjoying it (it doesn't make a sound- his 60# recurve sounded like you were hitting it against a refrigerator... not that we know what that sounds like ;)). I'm not too worried about him straining, he can handle most of my 75# bows ;D. The hair that gets caught on the string will work as a silenccer ;D.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 08:17:19 pm »
 ;D Nice work Kegan!, The Bow Gods will grant you many karma brownie points.. ;) I really like that fur patch..don't know why? ;) :P

Rich

a finnish native

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 08:34:39 pm »
nice one! your bro ahs the same type of hair as I do! only mine is orange  ::)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 08:40:31 pm »
Well done guys, always room for more converts eh. Gotta ask are they puttin steroids in the milk these days.
You guys like em heavy huh. And ya really should give PatB his toupee back ;D >:D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 08:53:09 pm »
Rich- I'm trying to convince my brother that not all bows are this easy, but he seems set on maing more anyway ;D (he's got another drying right now ;)). You probably like the fur because it's tree rat ;D!

Finnish Native- His hair is "oranger" in real life. I used to call him "the goldilocks who ATE the three bears" ;D

DanaM- Thanks Dana ;D! He is more sensible than I am- he likes them at 60-65# for hunting. And I keep telling him he could turn his hair into a wicked fur hat :D !

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 08:56:10 pm »
Squirrel skin...who'da thunk it. When I was going to school, I had a squirrel tail taped to my radio antenna. ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 09:06:34 pm »
Good job to both you and your brother. In about 27 days, we'll look at it during Jan Self Bow of the Month consideration.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 06:23:24 am »
Tell your brother nice job,he done well,for any bow much less his first,and congrats
to you for bringing more over,he is probably hooked now for sure.If it was a little green
if you put in a good dry place it will surprise how much weight it will pick up when
it really gets dry.I have had some like that and not knowing they were a little green ,put
them in the hot box for a week or 2 and when I got back on them they would pick 5 to 10 lbs.
I don't think you get all the moisture out by cooking it alone.Nice job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 09:03:28 am »
That's a great job on his first bow and good to have another converted to wood bows!

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

PK

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 12:29:48 pm »
Great primitive bow ;D

Offline huntersteve

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 06:45:00 pm »
great looking bow....nice job for his first...Steve
Tryon,N.C.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 06:53:38 pm »

Good job on his first bow, and glad you were able to sway him over to the selfbow way of archery. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Kegan

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 07:03:39 pm »
Thanks guys ;D! He's working on a new one- a 68" D bow, somehting like the ones I've been building. He found a perfect stave in the pile, he's just letting it dry right now. He wants to make arrows in the meantime ;D!

Pappy- We put it in the stave-dryer and it went up, but the limbs were pretty thin, so we relfexed it. Came out right at weight. After some of my bows coming out way light I knew several ways to help him ;)! That, and it took some set, being green and all :-X.