Author Topic: Short hickory recurve advice please!  (Read 3757 times)

Offline Tommytinker

Short hickory recurve advice please!
« on: July 08, 2014, 01:01:16 pm »
So I'm working on this sinew backed hickory static recurve.  51 1/2" nock to nock.

I'm fairly new to this world, I've finished only five bows. This project is some what of an experiment.  incorporates several features that I am completely new including sinew backing, recurves, brush nocks and horn tip overlays and laminations.

I used dry heat to flip the tips resulting in some pretty major cracks (some might say breaks) on the belly side, more then half the way through. I came very close to scrapping the whole thing but decided to sand off the effected area and glue on laminations and build up brush nocks.

I must also confess I had a moment of madness and lay down a layer of black fibreglass on both sides of the recurved area or extra "security"! Don't judge me!

At this point I thought I may as well use this Frankenstein's monster as a learning curve for sinew backing.

I lay down two layers of red deer leg sinew, let it dry for several weeks and covered it with black water snake skins.

I've got her bending fairly evenly (too my un-trained eye). She's pulling 35# @ 18" and I'm aiming for 40 - 45 @ 25"

She's only taken 1 1/2" of set which is a record for me.

I'd really appreciate some advice on the tiller and where to go from here.

Is pulling such a short bow to 25" stupid?

Any input or advice would be great!

Images to follow.

Tommy.

Offline Tommytinker

Re: Short hickory recurve advice please!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 01:17:49 pm »

Offline Tommytinker

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 01:18:37 pm »

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 01:18:58 pm »
thats a bit much/short for hickory. next time you want to recurve hickory you should boil it instead.

Offline Tommytinker

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 01:19:29 pm »

Offline Tommytinker

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 01:22:29 pm »
Bowman, I know this us a badly designed/executed bow. Still been a fun experience! You live and learn!

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 01:27:29 pm »
Bowman, I know this us a badly designed/executed bow. Still been a fun experience! You live and learn!

yup

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 03:33:02 pm »
With sinew your probably alright. Id suggest getting the last half of each limb bending more. Your taking set mid limb and in because its flat from there to your recurve build ups.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Tommytinker

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 04:39:51 pm »
Thank you for the advice. I can see that now you say it, I'll post mor pictures
When it's finished (if it doesn't explode!).

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 06:07:55 pm »
It's not badly designed at all. Just get your outer limbs coming around more and trim the excess off your brush nocks.
 You can probably almost halve the bulk while still maintaining the same outer dimensions.

Offline Tommytinker

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 07:15:47 pm »
Thank you for the encouragement Pat.

If it turns out well, there's one little thing that's going to really bug me!
The sinew finish is far from flat, I didn't realise how bad it would look until I stuck the skins on.

Has anyone had success removing skins from sinew? If so, how?

If I add another layer of sinew to build up a smooth crown, will this adhere to the surface after removing the skins? I used titebond bond III for the job and for gluing the skins on...

Again, any advice much appreciated!

Tommy

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 11:38:13 pm »
You won't be able to save a skin that is glued down, probably but you can sand the sinew/Titebond and add more.
 Another tip if I may...hickory bends very well with steam but not well with dry heat. When using a heat gun I have either had recurves crack from getting too dry or the bend didn't stay in some that weren't heated enough.
  Lots of firsts for you with this bow.  8) Nice job so far. Listen to these guys. They will set you straight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tommytinker

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 08:56:09 am »
Thanks Pat B.
I didn't think I'd be able to save the skins. I've got a matching set of spitting cobra skins which I'll use only if I'm really happy with the bow.

I haven't done much work on the brush nocks yet. I'll trim them down as much as possible.
I've noticed that there is a problem with tracking. Each recurve is twisting in opposite directions to each other.

Should I correct this now? Or after I've finished the tiller. I guess it's going to have to be corrected by wood removal as heat will spoil the sinew?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 09:17:30 am »
How much twist? Post a pic if you can. Also post a pic where it crosses the grip.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Tommytinker

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 09:34:57 am »
It seams fine as brace. But pulled to 18" I'd say about 1/2" in each direction. Is this going to prove to be a nightmare?

I'll post pics when I can.