Author Topic: Yew or Osage staves in Canada??  (Read 3804 times)

Offline Bobobow

Yew or Osage staves in Canada??
« on: July 08, 2014, 03:48:54 am »
Help, Anyone know a place to get yew staves or even osage staves on Vancouver Island or Vancouver area???  (Sorry not interested in $300+ staves, too rich for me)

Any help would get a big Thanks Dude!

Offline bushboy

Re: Yew or Osage staves in Canada??
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 11:34:50 am »
Maybe try raven beak
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Bobobow

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 11:49:44 am »
OK thanks...

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 03:30:23 pm »
I would advice a novice bowyer to not buy staves when they get started. Precious (/expensive) yew and osage staves are quite easy to mess up. It's better to gain some experience with more easily accessible woods, such as boards from a local store or staves from local trees. Once you master the basics, you may want to buy an osage or yew stave, but honestly, you can make bows from many, many other wood species. Everything you can find locally will be cheaper than an imported yew or osage stave that comes from far away.

I know this isn't the answer you were looking for, but I'm trying to prevent you from being disappointed when you mess up your one hundred dollar precious stave, while you could have went to the nearest woods and cut a few saplings for free...
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 04:34:40 pm »
Go cut yourself some vine maple,ocean spray,or your own yew FOR FREE!!!! N save your money for some tools etc....all are excellent woods and are available/native in your area... ;)

Offline Bobobow

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 12:01:38 am »
I was hoping somebody knew of a stock of yew staves, If anyone knows of any on VI or Vancouver you could PM me, I want to see the staves and pick one out,  Unfortunately I am not able to hump around in the woods very well or I would get them myself,  of course thanks for your input.... PS have tried the woods you mentioned, we have vine maple growing like weeds, have made great bows from juniper, hazel, green heart etc. etc. looking for some yew yew yew
Thanks

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 02:41:21 am »
hey, i live in vancouver and would  consider working something out.
PM me