Author Topic: hunting bow questions  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Tyke

hunting bow questions
« on: July 06, 2014, 03:10:03 pm »
Ive always had high end compound bows but I'm looking into doing my first traditional hunt I live in Utah and don't know what kind of stave to use for a good hunting bow I have leather to trade if anybody knows or has something of use I need to be 30 inches and at least 40 pounds of draw any advice would be helpful
why buy it when you can build it

Offline aaron

Re: hunting bow questions
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 03:47:07 pm »
the type of wood doesn't matter too much, as long as the bow is designed correctly for that species. For a beginner, one way to go is a red oak board bow with a pyramid design and glued-on riser. there are many tutorials and examples online. make it about 66+ inches long.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Tyke

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 04:01:13 pm »
Thanks aaron ive already made board bows and a couple self bows but i want to build something that will last for year utah just doesnt have good wood
why buy it when you can build it

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 05:52:25 pm »
Osage or hickory might be your best bet, or if you can get a good maple board makes a great bow
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 06:46:12 pm »
Utah can be pretty dry. I'd say hickory would be your best bet.  It doesn't matter if you use a tree stave or board. Both will make good hunting bows
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

UserNameTaken

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 08:37:21 pm »
Black locust is pretty ubiquitous. It also looks like you have ash, juniper, oak, chokecherry, and serviceberry available, depending on where you're at.