Author Topic: Kids board bow dimensions  (Read 6282 times)

UserNameTaken

Kids board bow dimensions
« on: June 29, 2014, 02:56:05 pm »
Hi all,

I went and organized this "self-guided" bow building class, here in Vancouver, WA, using Tim Baker's "Your First Wooden Bow" article. And, a few of the folks attending would like to bring their kids, which is great! But, some adjustments will need to be made to the design to accommodate 7-9 year olds.

Mr. Baker's article uses your wingspan to determine the length of your bow, and I don't see any reason to change that. To accommodate small hands though, I was thinking maybe an inch wide at the center, and then tapering directly from the center to 3/4" tips.  The wood will be red oak, hard maple, or some such.

Thoughts? I know that some of you have made bows for kids before.

Also, I haven't used these instructions in years, and Mr. Baker says, "Narrow the belly side of the grip just enough to cause a nocked arrow to rest square against the side of the grip. Do this on both sides of the grip."

Is he talking about reverse trapping the handle to fit better in your hand? That makes some sense, but I also know that there are a number of type-os in the bible. So, I thought that perhaps he was saying to slightly reduce the width of the handle, but I've always thought that that was considered a no no with bendy handles.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Kids board bow dimensions
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 03:28:13 pm »
Kid high is a good length(same as wingspan). Kids 7 to 9 years old, unless they already shoot, usually can't pull much over 15# to 20#@ about 20" so let that guide you.  One inch wide is a good start and I'd narrow the handle area by 1/8" on each side. Make the last 8" of each limb taper to 1/2". Build one like this and see how it works out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

UserNameTaken

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 03:30:25 pm »
Thanks Pat! Also, I think that I probably need to make a few tillering sticks. I will have a pulley set up, but only one. I noticed that some of the trad archery shops are making them out of soft wood. Do you think that's sufficient? I've always made mine out of hardwood. I'd prefer to not spend a lot of money here though.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:41:26 pm by Rick T. »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 03:46:04 pm »
Soft wood will be OK for the lighter bows but on the heavy ones, only to brace height.  Beyond that it could get dangerous around a bunch of folks. If all is OK at brace then evenly removing wood and exercising the bows is about all they will need the tree for.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

UserNameTaken

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 03:44:12 pm »
And, how long would you make the handle on the kids bow?

Some of the adults are going to think that their handle is a bit wide also. Would you tell them to narrow their handles just a bit? The same 1/8" perhaps? I never narrow my own, but they will want to.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 05:11:36 pm »
Make it three inches and yes you can make it a little narrower
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 09:59:00 pm »
I/4 inch thick red oak slats x 48 inches long can be found at Lowe's. Just go through the pile and find straight grain and riff cut pieces. Glue or tie a handle on and taper the last third of limbs. Make side nocks. These make great kid bows really quick!!! Almost self tillering.  cheers fiddler49

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 11:21:09 pm »
...and for little kids don't worry about adding a handle riser. Just narrow the handle area a bit and round the corners.  3" is about right.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 05:08:11 pm by Pat B »

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 02:58:00 pm »
I made my wife a 20# at 25" hickory backed purpleheart that she absolutely loves! I took it over to a friend's house over the weekend (sorry, no pics) where they've got 7 kids (1 of each) of varrying ages, and they couldn't get enough of it!

It's 1/8" hickory over purpleheart
62" tip to tip
4" handles and 2" fades
1" wide at the fades tapered to 1/2" nocks
3/8" thick (consistent thickness)
2" glued in reflex
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 06:45:56 pm »
I always made them as high as the kid,  1-1.25 in wide out to mid limb and narrowing to 3/8 " nocks. Let the handle bend. No narrowed handle. No glued on pieces.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

UserNameTaken

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 09:10:38 pm »
Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

UserNameTaken

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 04:12:00 pm »
New idea: I'm wondering if I could take a 1/4" x 1.5" red oak slat, glue on a handle + backing (like fiddler suggested) and have the kids make pyramid bows. 9 year olds are going to be making these  after all, and I think that a pyramid might be less likely to frustrate them.

My only concern is that the handle might pop off. Is that likely at only 15 lbs? The plan would be to keep the 1/4" thickness, and the only taper at the fade would be the glued up handle.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 04:15:26 pm by Rick T. »

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 05:24:19 pm »
I've made a lot of those, the handle didn't pop off I did glue tip overlays on, you'll get about 15# draw weight at 20
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹