Author Topic: Heat treat and form musings.  (Read 4817 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Heat treat and form musings.
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 10:17:03 am »
If you're new to heat-treating then my way of doing it is a good place to start and then you can go on from there.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 03:18:45 pm »
The stave I'm working on now I've lightly heated 4 times because I felt it needed some pampering.
Yesterday morning I used high heat but kept my distance so as not to char it too badly. Although it only reached 86 degrees in the afternoon the sun was bright and humidity pretty high. It didn't cool as quickly outdoors in the direct sunlight and I left it remaining on the form until evening.
I'm impressed with the results and there is a lot of wood remaining to be removed.
When I get it closer to bow dimensions I'm thinking one more session should get me where I want to be.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 07:12:45 pm »
I. Think a general rule of thumb method is not practical when dealing with different species of wood.osage imho is a much more plastic wood than say elm. So it takes less heat to temper than elm.elm likes it hot and heavy and the same can be acheived. With the king with less effort.as far as leaving it clamped up after heating it sould act like every thing else in nature where it has a temperature window not on like bring solder to a melting point. And letting it solidify. Wich is only a couple of degrees from liquid to a solid.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 08:08:10 pm »
Just as a point of interest, I have freezer packs that I put on mine after heating them. At times I need to cool it down quickly for one reason or another. Usually my lack patience. I've seen no adverse effect at all. I agree, no need to wait that I can see.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 01:23:28 am »
1+ on what Blackhawks says about not waiting to rehydrate. I usually start bending shortly after a bow has reached room temp and I've yet to have a problem
I like free stuff.

mikekeswick

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 04:46:02 am »
I only heat treat to get a mild colour change and I will also remove a bow from a form/string it up etc once it's cooled.
Steaming bends in is a different matter - I like to leave them a couple of days to reduce springback. If I use steam for say a recurve I will give it a blast with my heat gun once it's bent to the form which again helps with springback.