Author Topic: Spare bowstring  (Read 2511 times)

Offline TRACY

Spare bowstring
« on: July 02, 2014, 08:01:41 am »
I've made a few strings lately and got to thinking about having a spare. I use to have one in my pack all the time and somewhere down the road I quit carrying one. I'm not sure why either. I watched a hunting show the other day where the hunter had equipment failure and no way to fix it in the field on a costly trip. Going to put a couple of spares labeled back into the backpack this year ;D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Spare bowstring
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 09:32:31 am »
Very good idea,it can save a lot of trouble should you cut one or have one come apart. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 09:36:05 am »
Im a lucky dog myself. I started shooting glass bows in the early/mid 90's and it grew into what I do now. My point is I've been at this for a good while and have yet to cut or break a string, other than touching one with my scrapers edge!, oooops.....:) I never carry a spare. But that would change if I was away from home in the mountains or tundra. Id have 6 spares!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 09:56:20 am »
Be sure you pre-stretch that extra string. When I'm around home I don't worry about it but when off on a hunting trip I have an extra, pre-stretched string for each bow I bring. After shooting in the bow with a few hundred shots I make a new string and use the old one for my extra.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 04:40:03 pm »
When i'm on a hunting trip I usually have my tackle box of archery gear. I can just make another one. I've never broke or cut one either, unless hitting my hunting buddie's string with my broadhead counts ??? :D.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 04:41:07 pm »
Pat what is stretch? Not sure I understand :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 05:27:56 pm »
 :P
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 06:18:08 pm »
Go ahead and take the string off the elm bow and slap it on one of your own babies!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 09:51:43 pm »
Pearlie, send him some FastFlight. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 10:51:09 pm »
Be sure you pre-stretch that extra string. When I'm around home I don't worry about it but when off on a hunting trip I have an extra, pre-stretched string for each bow I bring. After shooting in the bow with a few hundred shots I make a new string and use the old one for my extra.

Good idea Pat!

Jon and Pappy convinced me last year at Cloverdale to try fast flight. Clint had some strings at a few shoots and so that is what I've been making. You're right Pearl Drums, what is stretch with that stuff ;D
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 10:37:07 am »
Kind of like a lot of stuff,to each their own,but I always have a daypack with me when I hunt ,so it takes no room,weighs nothing and you just never know,I keep extra batteries/light/knife/lighter/piece of rope and few other odds and ends even if I am hunting from the cabin. :) you hear that a lot around here,"it has never happened to me" well most of the things that I concern myself with have happened to me. ;) :) :) :) Just unlucky I guess. ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 05:17:36 am »
I'm with You Pappy - doesn't matter if I'm Hunting out the back door or on some God forsaken Mountain many miles from Home. I ALWAYS have a pack on. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline JEB

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 11:49:31 am »
What Pat B, Pearl and Mullet wrote.  I only carry an extra string when out west and hunting far from camp.  I make my own strings so I swap my strings out every year and toss the old one.  I stretch mine out when I make them and then leave the bow strung, hanging for a week or so.  Shoot the bow a bit and then they are ready to use.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 01:44:23 pm »
It hasn't happened to me, but I always carry a spare anyways when I'm hunting
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"