Author Topic: grain runout-fatal?  (Read 6600 times)

Harrifer

grain runout-fatal?
« on: February 01, 2008, 05:37:24 pm »
I have just received a hickory board from flybowshop.com, and I have realised (after breifly cutting into it) that any bow made from it will have considerable grain run out. On both sides of the bow. Is this fatal? Can it still make a self bow? Can it still make a backed bow?

Offline DanaM

Re: grain runout-fatal?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 05:41:35 pm »
Not necessarily, I will work for sure if you back it with, linen or silk.
Hickory is very tough and can survive grain runouts that other woods can't.
How about a picture or two?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Harrifer

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 05:53:34 pm »
The grain is hard to see by the eye you wouldnt see it on camera. I think it is quite a severe grain run out. The grain at the bottom of the 6 foot board is not the same grain that is at the top.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 05:55:50 pm »
You must consider each limb separately if you are making a stiff-handled bow.  And some grain runout is acceptable.  So it depends on what you mean by severe.  What do the people at flybowshop have to say?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Harrifer

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 06:12:24 pm »
Haven't talked to them yet. I didn't want to cause any hassle if i was mistaken, so I asked you fellers first. I'm quite certain that the grain that is seen at the top has full run oput by half way down the 48" board.

However, the board was never described as being suitable for a stave. It was sold as hickory board lumber under the topic 'bow building', so I'm not sure I have a case here, if I want a refund or something.

This is my second bow, my first was maple that I cut myself, which broke due to grain runout(I couldn't see the grain on it apart from at the ends). So you can see why grain runout is worrying for me. I think perhaps if I backed it with something it would be quite workable.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 06:14:52 pm »
One mans serious runout is another mans minor defect. Take a pencil and follow the grain on the back then post pictures so people can see how severe the run out is then they can help you a little better. If you buy a board, it will almost always require backing.  I have gotten boards from several reputable bow suppliers and never had one that would build a self bow.  More serious than the grain runout is ring violation and/or grain orientation.  Pics would really help, but I would suspect it must be backed.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 08:12:12 pm »
2 run outs per limb is acceptable to me for a 50-55# selfbow that bends in the handle. I look a the edge grain and the the grain on the face. here's more on boards on my site. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 11:17:29 pm »
I think a photo of the board would be helpful.

ozark caveman

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 10:39:30 pm »
Dude I make bows all the time with grain runout and I rarely have bows break. I'm not saying you should make a habit out of this but it is possible to make a bow like that :-)

ozark caveman

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 10:43:01 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,1117.0.html

Look at this link and you'll see a bow that I made. I broke every bow making law known and this is a bow that I'll have for the rest of my life! I've shot it about 2,000 times and it has lots of grain runout ;D

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 12:40:18 am »
Harrifer, go to Georges site and have a look at grain runout info. While you are there, bookmark the site because there is all kinds of good info there and you will want to go back again to refresh your memory.

Ozark, I don't want to be rude but, the way I remember it we are still waiting to see braced pictures of that bow, much less full draw.  If it isn't braced and drawn, its a stick.                 Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 01:06:38 am »
Yeah........what Justin Says!!!!! wheres the Pics???????? >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

ozark caveman

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 01:12:48 am »
Ok losers! >:D I'll get the pics! Jeez! I need someone to take the pic while I draw it but I guess I'll try to figure out how to get my cam to auto shoot just so you guys can eat a little crow ;D

P.S. I DONT MAKE STICKS

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 01:40:21 am »
I have eaten crow before, it's not as bad as you would think, a little tough to chew at times. I would be happy to eat some to get you to post the full draw pictures.  After all we have been holding our breath waiting for the pictures for 14 months. It would be nice to breathe again.  :-[ Justin

SW Utah

ozark caveman

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 02:20:24 am »
Here ya go! Like I said before. It's a little whip ended but a successful bow!  :D

[attachment deleted by admin]