Author Topic: Thin and deep limbs?  (Read 2749 times)

owlbait

Thin and deep limbs?
« on: July 04, 2014, 09:08:12 pm »
Due to a lot of borer damage and after working on this stave for 2 years (I'm slow) I found more damage that has my limb width 1/2 of what I started with. Can I make up the width by making the limbs deeper? I still have a small tunnel on the side of the stave. Do I try to shave it flat or fill it with super glue, or save it to beat the fella from New Mexico that sold me this great stave for a beginner?

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Thin and deep limbs?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 09:16:46 pm »
Well at least it was not a total lie, it did teach you something!
How much width do you have yet?
what kinda poundage you hoping for?
Yes Osage can make a bow that is narrow and thick
It doesn't take much Osage to make a bow so maybe we can get there yet!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

owlbait

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 09:33:43 pm »
Unfortunately, I'm a slow learner too! 5/8" wide X 3/4" deep. She won't hardly budge with pressure either.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 10:00:12 pm »
Whooo horse
that may be a tad narrow for much of a bow
I think that I will be in Michigan for the GLLI can you get there?
if so maybe I can find a stick of wood to trade you out of this one and get you back on track
I always need another kids bow
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

owlbait

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 10:07:27 pm »
I can make the GLLI if your offering help. I don't know how you feel about sassafras, but I'm willing to include a stave of that also. Thanks.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 10:53:25 pm »
I wil try to let you know for sure but it is normal for me to be there, and if I am there I would be glad to help you out !
plan on see you there !
as far the Sassafras, be glad to have it, not sure why.
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 02:13:10 am »
That's too thin for even an English Longbow style, unless it is down to kids weight.
A bow that narrow will be trying to bend sideways as you make it... mind that is an option, just turn the stave sideways.
Mind, it's still only 1/8" wider >:(
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 05:29:31 am »
A bow can't be thicker than it is wide. Than it will be laterally unstable and twist as you apply pressure on it.
I haven't seen the stave of course, but it's a pity that the stave was so heavily damaged by wood borers. Perhaps there was a better way to conserve more of the width...such as a hard backing or plugging the holes with Dutchmen plugs.
How long is the stave? The lack in width can be compensated for (to a small degree) by extra length. An osage longbow of 74" with maybe 35# draw weight at 28" might work. Or a kids bow, which is the other alternative...
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

owlbait

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 11:31:39 am »
Thanks guys. As many changes to my plans to get a bow out of this stave, it seems I just kept running into obstacles. I didn't give up, and kept at it, although slowly. I've read about the Dutchman plugs and maybe someone with more expertise could've fixed/saved this stave. I do know I'd like to make a New Mexican plug with the widest end of this stave though! >:D

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 12:23:11 pm »
Contact the seller and send him some pics. Let's see what he says. A serious seller that wants to keep a reputation will send you a replacement stave. Perhaps the seller couldn't even see the bug damage, if the bark was still on?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 12:29:44 pm »
  One thing about wood that amazes me is that proportionately it is just right for bow making, I kind of look at it as a gift form our creator. The strength, the depth, the weight, the flexability it all falls into place and almost could not be better. No other natural material on earth quite like it, very unique in its own right. So I would say make it wider even if it means starting over.

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 01:03:39 pm »
What about bamboo? ;)