Author Topic: Deflexed Yew Recurve for Bryce  (Read 6573 times)

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
Deflexed Yew Recurve for Bryce
« on: July 03, 2014, 08:29:31 pm »
There’s been a lot of yew bows posted recently… but I guess one more can’t hurt   :D

Bryce and I decided to do a bow trade back in October (sheesh or maybe it was September). Well, its July, and I’m finally sending the man a bow.  I know he was hoping for a plum bow, but apparently the bow gods didn’t agree. All in all, I got three bows to the shooting in stage before I finished this one.  I had a couple heart breakers including a purple leaf plum that I’ll post later, which popped a chrysle after shooting in.

I am probably a fool for sending a PNW boy a yew wood bow.  Pincecone knows his way around a yew stave (just check out a couple of his posts).  BUT this bow definitely has some good mojo and I feel good sending it to him. I cut the stave during a wedding up in the Trinity Alps at about 3000 ft elevation.  It was growing in creek bed, in a grove of about 100 or so other yew trees.  This was a gnarly old tree, with some strong deflex in the trunk, and it was dying. Half the trunk had exposed grey wood… but I saw a bow in the other side of the tree (the deflexed side) and for some reason I really felt compelled to cut…. it so I went with my gut.  When Bryce and I decided to do a trade, I immediately thought of this stave, but instead went with a Plum stave.  When the plum went south I tried a few other things.  But every time I went to the stash this old piece of Yew thing kept calling my name, and so finally I decided ‘what the heck!’

Aright, enough backstory, here’s the details:

This stave was drying in the shed for almost 3 years, and I roughed it out with a hatchet about 1 year ago.  As I said it had some deflex when it was alive and it added another inch of deflex as it dried, ending with about 3.”  I chose to leave the deflex in the bow and work around it.  The bow ended up 63” ntn, about 57” straight-line distance. Its got some 5+” static tips that I boiled in.  Sure makes for a smooth draw. Inner limbs are a shade over 1.5” tapering to ½” at the tips. She pulls 54/55 # @ 27” but I’ve pulled her to 57/58# @28” no problems. This bow took about an inch of set (e.g its full deflex is hard to measure with the static tips but it started at ~3” and I”d say its 3.5 to 4” now).  Full disclosure, the set was mostly from one early bracing incident where I pushed it too far to fast… doh.  But everything worked out in the in the end.  As I told Bryce on the phone, this may not be the fastest bow I’ve made but she draws smooth, shoots where I look and sends a heavy arrow into my target with some authority.  The bow barley opens up in the handle at full draw. I think this bow will hunt well. 

Here it is:

The stave prior to any tillering:

Unbraced

braced

Some character

The back:  There are some longitudinal cracks in the sapwood, but they where their when I cut the tree, and the wrapping is mostly aesthetic.  Having shot the bow in, I don’t think they pose a risk any time soon…

Oh Yeah… I did get some plum into this bow, the arrow pass is shaped from plum bark…   Also, the handle is my first attempt at a double loop lacing, and I think you can tell I’m no leather worker. Still it fits very comfortably in the hand.  The handle is reddish soft cow leather over built up cork. The lacing is black deer hide.

Braced (plus a little)

And the money shot.

Thanks for looking. And thanks for your patience Bryce.  We should hook up and hunt the cascades sometime (I’m only 1.5 hrs south of Oregon), or at least do some BBQ and look at bows. 

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Deflexed Yew Recurve for Bryce
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 08:30:46 pm »
That's a fine bow Gabe! Very fine!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 08:32:10 pm »
That there is one beautiful bow sir!! Fine work!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 08:54:11 pm »
That's a beauty, love the leather work...Tiller is $$$...I like a good story behind a bow to... 8)
                                                                                                         Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 09:15:20 pm »
Yeah I enjoy it more with a story too. Man that full draw shot.... all these yew bows lately are driving me insane. So beautiful. It wouldn't be so hard if I didn't have Yew in the garage which I know I'm not ready for, sigh  :laugh:

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 09:46:37 pm »
That is Awesome!!!!Love those curves!!!Yew is great stuff wish I had a 150 acres of it-Hammertime

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 09:50:49 pm »
  Sweet bow, I have really been liking these deflexed bows here lately.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 10:04:56 pm »
HOLY CRAP! That is a beauty! What extremely weird is that we both made the same style bow! HAHAHAHAHA
Oh man!!! I can't wait for that thing to get here!!!! Specs are perfect! Everything about it! From grip to tips is all perfect!
I'll hunt with that thing for sure!

HOT DOG!!!!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 10:28:31 pm »
Very nice bow, Gabe. Beautiful full draw.   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 11:41:06 pm »
Thanks you guys!  I appreciate the nice words. 

Hammertime your yew bow was sweet!  I was gonna say something about not seeing a lot of yew statics that are self bows with no underlays, but yours and others, especially Pearly's bow from last year are some great examples of that.

Steve, I really think there's something to these naturally deflexed Staves.  Keenan's work in his Feb BOM from 2010, as well as some of Manny's bows got me into the deflexed staves.  I've noticed that natural deflex often produces high early draw weights, and reduces my tendency for set (except when I make silly mistakes). I wonder natural deflex has some impact on a loss of energy from hysteresis?

Bryce, I'm super stoked that you like the way this bow looks, and I really hope you like how it feels and shoots.  Looks are only half the battle.  If this trade has taught me anything (or reinforced something I already knew) its that when your working with natural materials like wood, there's no such thing as certainty.

Gabe

Humboldt County CA.

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 12:01:30 am »
Great story and a great looking bow gabe I like how you still worked the plumb into the bow, have any luck on the fishing trip?
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 12:06:31 am »
Oh man Bubby.  We had a blast and we got into some real wild country way up the Middle Fork canyon. Thats one heck of a gorge, must be 1000 ft deep.  And yeah, we sure got into some nice rainbows, especially way back in there,  Most survived, but we had to stop and build a quick fire on the bank for one or two  O:)   I tell you what though, that country is hard on gear.  I broke a reel and lost a knife.  My buddy broke his reel and bent the handle bars on his dual sport.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 12:16:52 am »
Sounds about right for that country, good deer and bear territory too, just a pain to get out
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 12:23:35 am »
I think you made the perfect bow for that stave Gabe, great design, nice details on the finishing and the tiller is a thing of beauty in itself. Just has to be a good shooter when they bend that well.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Pat B.

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 12:25:50 pm »
There's an amazing amount of talent here at PA !!!

Beautiful bow..
Friends are the family we choose