Author Topic: Question on a recurve.  (Read 18380 times)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Question on a recurve.
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2008, 08:27:22 pm »
Looks pretty good cowboy. Can we see a relaxed side profile shot now? Looks to me like the top curve is opening up more than the bottom. I would put quite a few arrows through it before you finish it with snake skins and all, these type of bows have a way of changing tiller and limbs going outa line on ya for the first few weeks of use.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2008, 10:37:19 pm »
That looks good Yankee - yer givin me idea's ;D.
 Too late Ryano, I done skinned her out :). Haven't even shot it yet - got so busy getting her prettied up I don't know if she even works yet, haha. Well I'll keep my fingers crossed, may just have to chalk this one up as experience :D. Honestly though, I see what Marc was talking about with the twist. She lines up through the handle at brace but wants to twist some during the draw (not too bad) but makes ya wonder.
  Anyway - here's my two chicken snakes. Imagine me having chicken snakes, or is it rat snakes, or bull snakes?

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2008, 10:48:50 pm »
your gonna wish you put that Skin all the way to the Overlays....they really look cool when they are split around them.....l
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cowboy

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2008, 11:19:51 pm »
I got lots of bows yet to build Yankee ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Jbell

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2008, 11:34:50 pm »
I will keep my fingers crossed for ya! Hope it shoots well.  ;D
Justin Blunt

Offline uwe

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2008, 02:46:16 pm »
Hi cowboy,
Thought an expetienced bowmaker doesn`t make things without making thoughts of why and what to do!
Regards Uwe

Offline DanaM

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2008, 03:07:37 pm »
Dang paul thats gonna look real nice in my bow rack ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2008, 03:17:06 pm »
It's lookin' good, but even if you have some problems creep up...I'm sure you've learned a lot from this one. Good job getting it to this point. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline cowboy

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2008, 11:04:20 pm »
Appreciate it guys. This being my first try at several things I'm pretty happy with it so far, but am not impressed with one little thing. The tips are out of line - the more I eyeball down the back the more it seems to grow :-\. If it shoots at all I'll have a cool looking (not so good bow). Either way, I've learned a lot in the last couple of months. Look out next time ;).

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2008, 12:58:56 am »
Cowboy, She is looking great. I was always a straight limb kinda guy but found myself making more and more recurves. They kinda grow on ya! 8)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2008, 11:08:35 am »
Paul, she is looking great.  If the tips are a little out of alignment its not going to hurt so much.  It could be the way it is drying with the sinew and once you shoot the bow in it will come back around. I have seen several BOM bows (Greg's copperhead and Gordon's bows) that had the skins stop short of the end and wrapped so I don't think you can go wrong with whichever you prefer.  Keep up the good work, it is about broadening ones horizons, not turning out perfect bows every time.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline cowboy

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2008, 11:40:27 pm »
Thanks Pat, Justin :). I think I know what went wrong, next time I'll whistle dixie while I'm trying to straighten those limbs :). She actually don't feel too bad throughout the draw - need to get a short string made up and shoot her some. Here's a profile shot - it was a deflexed stave to start out with. That's why I opted to attempt a recurve on this one - think it's gonna be a winner after all :).

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2008, 01:51:12 pm »
Looks great Paul...Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2008, 03:06:36 pm »
Good job on that one! I know they're not easy to make especially the first attempt. ;)

Hey, is that the same chicken as was in the back of your truck last summer? Looks like he got petrified... ;D

Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline cowboy

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2008, 10:56:27 pm »
Thanks Brian/GregB. Nope that's the chicken that ate my sinew, got him bronzed ;D. I aint done with the bow yet - lotsa other things going on at the same time. Maybe during the next nine days at work I'll be able to wrap it up. Did a little more tillering today after I looked at some pic's - I gotta quit taking off so much wood. She came in at 43#'s @ 28" >:(. Oh well nice shooter - they hit where I'm pointin :). I'll get some pictures up on a new post when she's done - thanks for your patience guys!!