Author Topic: My first Black Locust Bow  (Read 4548 times)

Offline Bobobow

My first Black Locust Bow
« on: July 01, 2014, 12:23:24 pm »
Here she is, my first BL bow, the growth rings were difficult to find at first, but once I figured it out it was really fun, sucks when you bust through one though and start from the beginning hehehe.

She is a lovely bow,,shoots like a dream if I say so myself.  African Black,wood tips and shelf, fast-flight.  She is 6' long pulls 50#s @ 29".  Now I want to make another.  I found this dust really did not agree with me, respirator 24/7 while working on her!?!?

Anyhoo what do you think???

Offline Bobobow

Re: My first Black Locust Bow
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 12:37:09 pm »
Why it show 3 pics- no clue,,color me stupid....

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 12:49:33 pm »
Going to need a few more pics to get any solid feedback. Unbraced and drawn pics would be nice.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 02:18:07 pm »
Like pearly said, it's hard to tell without unbraced and draw pics. I also want to see more of the bow itself: the tips, the handle, grain, etc. BL makes a snappy bow, but that's an interesting profile to say the least ;)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Bobobow

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 08:35:46 pm »
Here are some mor pics, I,will upload a full draw soon, cheers

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 08:50:53 pm »
That looks like some scary bend out of the fades!
Looking forward to getting into my BL soon, looks like pretty wood

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 09:14:39 pm »
Maybe a resizing issue. How did you resize your photos?

Offline Bobobow

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 09:20:02 pm »
Just do it in iphone, did the others the same, the fade is not nearly as bad as in this photo...I will try to upload another....  I live in Ladysmith BC!

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 09:44:03 pm »
That does look like a lot of bend in the fades but it's true it could be a resizing issue. I run all my images through imgur and have never had a problem ;)

Do I see spliced- in knocks? I've never seen that done before. It seems like the glue line would have to be perfect to keep the tip from delaminating from the cut rings.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Bobobow

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 10:13:55 pm »
Huisme, the image distortion makes it look awful, it looks much nicer in person.  The nock joints fit like a glove, much more secure than top glued, it is african black wood (aka ebony) hard as hard gets.

Fast little girl...

Offline Bobobow

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 10:59:59 pm »
Full draw!ugggh

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 11:54:31 pm »
 Wicked bend out of the fades and the outers are working nicely... 8)  Looks balanced and quick...
                                                                                                                        Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Bobobow

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 12:20:05 am »
FYI and I am proud to say she never saw a power tool of any kind, well she saw plenty in the shop but never felt one....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 05:27:06 am »
Looks like it is bending a lot mid 1/3,beautiful tips and finish work. Love to see an unstrung profile of it. :) I bet it's fast I would just worry about fretting in the 1/3 bending area. BL is bad about them. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 07:26:02 am »
That's a nicely finished bow. I like those tip overlays. Nice way to cut them out. Very smooth lines in the bow and a sweet looking handle. Are you French? Judging by the French text on the bow :)

I have to comment on that tiller though. Unless this bow is severely reflexed/deflexed (I would like to see an unbraced pic), it has two terrible hinges. One in either limb, about 4" from the fade. Here's how I see it:

The bow consists of three straight sections, with very short, overstressed areas in between. I would be surprised if the wood doesn't show any damage there. Either chrysals, set or a clean break in the very near future. Please correct the tiller before you continue shooting this bow.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286