Author Topic: Have to vent!  (Read 5112 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Have to vent!
« on: June 30, 2014, 09:07:06 pm »
 Yep, what it says up top. I hate Chinese crap, especially when it is hidden behind a trusted, All American, product.

I've used Rijid wrenches for close to 40 years working on Drill rigs. If I had know that all of there electrical products were made out of Pot metal crap in China I would never had bought one of their band saws. I've bought half a dozen parts for this piece of crap from a company in Ga., Rijid doesn't sell replacement parts ::). Everytime you try adjusting something it seems like the part will break in half,not the screw or bolt, the part.

Well, The whole adjustment tensioner broke in half, again, second one. That's it! I'm pulling the motor and stand off and the rest is going in the scrap pile.

But the rainbow ;D ;D, My best friend has been borrowing my Airless Paint sprayer that is brand new that I never used, for his business. Well, he has a nice, old, American band saw with a bunch of custom made blades he inherited when his Father- in law passed away he never has used. So it looks like  we are going to trade, even up and he delivers and hauls this piece of you no what off.
Oh, I'm am happy, happy. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Have to vent!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 09:09:39 pm »
It is a sad fact that most of the time Chinese made means lesser quality
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 09:18:25 pm »
It is sad that everybody keeps buying the crap. I wish I had paid better attention when I bought it. Found out when it broke the first part two weeks after I bought it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 09:27:43 pm »
It's inexcusable that the manufacturers close down jobs here and send them overseas in order to sell cheap crap back to the unemployed former employees they can barely afford to buy.  The strongest economy in North America coincidentally happened when union membership was the strongest.  Andrew Carnegie, even while attempting to break the backs of the unions, stated if they paid the worker more, the worker would only spend the money.  I dunno, sounds like a recipe for economic recovery!

This post is not political, this post is Economics 101, and I approve this message.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 11:48:09 pm »
Glad you found a solid built replacement.  Can you post some pictures once you get the new old saw?  I enjoy seeing old power tools.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 12:25:38 am »
A good band saw is more than a tool.  It gives you piece of mind.  For now, my JET bandsaw is OK but when I'm rich I'm going to buy the most expensive one I can find.  ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 12:34:57 am »
Rigid saws are guaranteed for life, the one I had was a piece of C#&P and unfixable but they sent me a replacement, supposedly a rebuilt one but came missing about 1/4 of the parts. I gave it to my brother and didn't know about the missing parts, never opened the box.

He found the company would send him anything he requested but the little girls he talked to in customer service didn't know a blade guide from a motor mount so no telling what he would get in the mail.   

It took him about a year to get the saw running and had to make some of the parts himself.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 01:22:28 am »
Power tools now play the "name game". It was started by Black and Decker who started selling stuff by the brand name of "Dewalt". Well, Dewalt originally made mostly radial arm saws----hel-LO! Then Rigid jumped on the bandwagon but they mostly made pipethreaders and so on. But everyone knew the name (like Dewalt) and associated it with ruggedness. The latest is a bunch of Chinese tools sold under the name "Rockwell". People remember the old Rockwell International power tools (which were actually Porter Cable tools before Rockwell bought them up) and think this new Rockwell is THAT Rockwell. Nope! Rockwell International shut the doors many years ago and Boeing bought up their aerospace division. The power tools had gone back to Delta-Porter Cable. Read the label on all the "American brands". Most are made in China or other countries. Even Milwaukee which used to be American made. At least with Hitachi and Makita you know what you're getting and they make decent power tools.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 01:47:21 am »
     My Brother has a Grizzly table saw, and has no problems with it all.  He loves it.  It is made in Taiwan.   Has had it for quite some time.  He gave me his six inch jointer, which I have in Montana now.  He never used it, as it came with the table saw as a package deal.  But the piece of crap wheels, cracked in half.  So when I get out there in a couple of weeks, I will have to get some wheels for it.  It is only one that is actually broken in half, but I think I will just replace them all.  I want to buy a nice table saw, but i can't afford the German one I want, nor the Canadian brands.  What is disgusting, is the food products, the U.S. brands, that you have been buying now have food from china!  Pennsylvania Dutch Boy Mushrooms, is just one example, as well as Green giant, and others.  You can pick up a can, and it will say product of U.S., and the next one will say product of China!  No thanks I will just buy the organic products of the U.S. !  And if it does not have a country of origin on the product, i don't buy it.  I wrote to McCormick and asked why they were afraid to put the country of origin on their products, (Cayenne pepper), and they wrote back, and said that all of their products were USDA inspected.  But never said where the product came from.  So I wrote back and told them, that they just lost a customer, since they are afraid to name the country of origin, I am afraid to buy that product!

Wayne
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 03:13:34 am by stickbender »

Offline JEB

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 06:47:47 am »
If a guy had to go out into the world and try and find a job using and wearing American made products he would leave the house naked and would have to walk barefooted.

I try my best to buy American but it is tough.

Food was mentioned above.  My neighbor is a buyer for a very large store chain in Michigan and adjoining states. He flew to China to look at small fruit cups that are used for kids lunches, France for chocolate and Spain.  I checked the shelf in the store a time later and sure enough the small fruit cups were on the shelf, from China.

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 10:22:02 pm »
A lot of the companies making these tools and other consumer goods are American owned companies operating in China. And there are thousands of them.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Zuma

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 10:28:39 pm »
Amen,
Thanks for making my garden woe's seem minor Eddie.
Glad your rainbow has arrived and you are happy now 8)
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline DLH

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 11:23:52 pm »
We are selling out to cheaper labor in china and sacrificing quality in the mean time. At work all our white pigment for paint use to be made in the us from DuPont but now we get most of it from china because it's cheaper we suffer some on quality but not enough to be a deal breaker. The sad part is most of these decisions are on a corporate level and the guys that have to suffer the head ache and complaint from the customer can't do anything about it because the savings are so great. I'm starting to look to some other countries for nice tools like France they have nice rasps and I want some of those opinel pocket knives seems like all the American company's are selling out with the exception of smaller operations which they are tryin to get rid of too.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 12:34:59 pm »
Trade is supposed to mean we trade with other countries for products we don't have or can't make here. Like Tien Shan pears, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, tea, and so on. But not tools or goods that factories here get closed up for and then start being made overseas and brought back here to sell. That's not really "trade", it's a carnival midway shell game. "Now you see it (your job), now you don't! (your job) Now I raise the shell, imported from China and look! Here is the pea! (your job)..."
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 02:57:31 pm »
Eddie Pauly (Paulsemp) had nothing but problems with his 14" Rigid as well. My 14" Grizzly has been a good one. I know its not made here either.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.