Author Topic: Give us your Favorite String Material and why!  (Read 29166 times)

Offline Crogacht

Re: Give us your Favorite String Material and why!
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2014, 04:56:21 pm »
There is another reason I've gone for B50, aside from cost. Some people are saying they need all the help they can get, I think of it more like, I'm going to need even more help than a string could provide to make any difference, so I'll just use the cheap stuff for the first however many bows until I know they are built relatively well and will hold together.

Does anyone reuse strings? Or is it better to just make a new one for every bow.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2014, 06:53:56 pm »
I'd like to resurrect this thread a little bit...

I have dacron B50 already and I'm pretty pleased with it for medium weight bows. But I also want some high performance string material for my heavier bows, flight bows or whatever special occasion. So I'm researching my options in string material...and the options are limited. I live in Europe and prices are much higher here. I pay about 13 USD for 1/4lbs D50, just to let you know.
Looking at the archery shops here, I can't find D97 anywhere. It seems that many people in this thread are very happy with their D97, but I can't find this stuff for sale anywhere. Or can I? The brand names are very confusing. Could you help me out with what string material would be the best option?

"Fast Flight" BCY 652 spectra (53 USD for 1/4 lbs)
Brownell D75 100% HMPE with .015 diameter (46 USD for 1/4 lbs)
Brownell Astro Flight 100% HMPE (59 USD for 1/4 lbs)
Brownell Fast Flight Plus 014 diameter (53 USD for 1/4 lbs)

There are other varieties like BCY8190, Brownell Xcel, BCY8125 and BCY452x, but those are ridiculously expensive. So which of the above would be the best option?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2014, 07:28:38 pm »
I like them all to be honest. No stretch is no stretch. The biggest factor is serving size. I wouldn't hesitate making an 8-10 strand string from any of them. Astro flight is good, D75 is good, 452x is real good.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B.

« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2014, 01:02:15 am »
Agree, with PD...  I've made quite a lot of strings, 98% with the various FF materials.. Currently am using 8190 just because I have it and it is certainly one of the better ones.. Serving size is critical from many aspects. Most often with the smaller diameter, low strand count strings I double serve with the likes of .015, .018 size serving.. The proper fit between your serving and your nocks gives you better speed, better arrow flight, better accuracy and a quieter bow..  Worth persuing to get it right..
Friends are the family we choose

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2014, 10:49:24 am »
Linen is nice stuff, takes wax well and doesn't slip like modern materials.
Del

That's my vote as well. I really like a nice round 3 ply linen string. It just feels awesome on your fingers, and just "looks right".  ;D

EDIT: Oh, and it shoots good too with very little stretch if any. 
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2014, 11:07:03 am »
Agree with the others,all of that is good,we use a lot of BCY,mainly because I have a good friend that sells it[trades to me]  ;) :) :) But is still top notch.
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2014, 01:58:34 pm »
   I like the feel of linen, I don't like how I have to make the strings so fat so I will often mix in 4 strands of fast flight for insurance. This gives me a normal size low stretch string very comfortable to shoot bare finger. If I use 6 strands of 7 ply linen with 4 strands of fast flight it gives me what I feel like is the perfect size for me. ( and no I don't mix fast flight with linen while flight shooting)