Author Topic: My Latest Bows  (Read 11974 times)

Rich Saffold

My Latest Bows
« on: January 02, 2008, 11:58:33 pm »
Figure its time to put up a bow or two. The top bow is 68" ntn.r/d longbow of ipe, yellow boo core and black bamboo. Trapezoid limbs
 with the bamboo tapered in from the ipe belly which is 15/16ths outside the fades. 65#'s@29", 16oz mass, 1/2" of net reflex after a hundred shots.
Will post a couple more pics after I finish the grip, and decide how shiny to finish it..It's going to the "Great White North" :) Ok Alberta

The second bow is Degame/local tonkin bamboo 39# bow made from pre-ban Cuban stock which came from Stemmler Archery, and I was fortunate to get a piece to make this bow for an 80 year old friend
 and competition target archer, who used to have a Stemmler bow as a youth. The wood which I was very fortunate to get was from one of our local talented bowmakers who
prefers to remain anonymous since his box might fill up with inquiries..Very nice wood, worth bribery to obtain..

duffontap

Re: My Latest Bows
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 12:03:29 am »
Very nice Rich.  I think I can see what you're talking about with the development of your tiller.  The limbs look very straight almost everywhere!  Beautiful bows.

J. D.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 01:14:18 am »
Very nice bows Rich. I'm building a bamboo backed lemonwood bow also and have been quite impressed with this combo.
Gordon

Offline Ghost Dog

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 01:17:56 am »
Now that is an efficient tiller. Beauty.
With a fine osage selfbow, my elkhide quiver filled with cedar arrows fletched with turkey, and with the invitation of the forest, I am about as happy as a man can be.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 02:32:46 am »
Very graceful bows. Excellent work
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Rich Saffold

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 02:46:46 am »
The grip on the degame bow is a bit blocky in appearance, but it's what the owner wanted and I thought it was rather comfortable.  I wanted to have as much of a working limb on this bow to make the draw as smooth as possible at 28". The owner recently took 3d in a New York City  Fita shoot with another one of my bows so at 80 he is still going strong. Every bowyer gets stoked when someone does good with their bows ;D

Thanks for the kind words guys. Part of why I posted  was the tiller of these bows as we were discussing on the warbow forum. Also the limb shape of the Ipe bow which I will post a photo of this as well when I get a chance. I tried to combine all aspects of speed (low mass, r/d, bending the backing lams for glue-up, then bending them more when gluing to the belly)  into these limbs, but tiller for a  smooth no stacking draw. I have made several similar bows with good results so it was time to show one.

Rich-

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 05:44:15 am »
Very nice Rich,good job. :)He should be happy with that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 08:53:56 am »
Those are some very pretty bows Rich.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline Jesse

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 01:13:57 pm »
I would love to see more pics and hear more how you made them. I think your tiller is excellent. I Think this style shoots much better than if you made it bend more circular in the outer limbs.
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 01:22:35 pm »
Thanks for posting these, interesting tiller, most of the bend in the near handle area. Would this tiller work
with woods that aren't as strong in compression? I've never used or seen either ipe or lemonwood but I'm
assuming they have good compression qualities.
I love the idea of being 80 and still shooting, pretty awesome.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline markinengland

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 02:04:21 pm »

Richard,
Thanks for posting those. Very elegant.
I would love to see more pics and hear more how you made them. I think your tiller is excellent. I Think this style shoots much better than if you made it bend more circular in the outer limbs.
Looking at the at rest picture and the full draw I can imagine that the bow limbs aren't actually working as much near the handle as it appears. The parts of the limb at mid and outer that appear straight are actually bending and being highly stressed. The near handle looks bent and stressed but may not actually be bending as much as it appears as they were deflexed to start with.
Mark

Offline Jesse

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 02:08:15 pm »
I could be wrong Dana but I think while it looks like the bend is only by the handle its deceiving because there is a lot of power put in the glue joint on the outer limbs during glue up if they move a little its really a lot. If it were tillered to full circle the outer limbs would be doing too much. Thats my understanding I am interested to hear what Rich says about it.   I dont know how it would work with woods that are not good in compression. I would say not good  but I will let someone else try it. If I make a laminated or backed bow I use belly wood that is strong in compression but I am far far far from an expert opinion on this.
                                                                                                                              Jesse

--Frank A. Clark

Offline Jesse

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 02:10:24 pm »
Mark you beat me to it. :D You posted while I was writing looks like we agree. :D
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 02:48:52 pm »
Thanks, Ive only tried one laminated bow, it died an ugly death ;)
I think I get what your saying though, it will be interesting to
see what Richard has to say.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 03:23:02 pm »
Nice bows, Rich. How does the degame compare to the ipe for belly wood?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.