Author Topic: Making it faster any one can help.  (Read 5378 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Re: Making it faster any one can help.
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 10:59:54 am »
I think it was the RO board trade or build off Mark. I agree set isn't a deal breaker in speed or weight. I would go to lowes and by a 6$ piece of trim from lowes. With the straightest grain and least amount of run off. Then I would look up the 1000's of board bow build alongs. Find the best design for what u want. And make it. We'll help if ya got ??'s... But that bow.... I wouldn't fuss with it. Leave it how it is and show your friend what a real bow is. All wood, it'll smoke that glass. Glass tape isn't the same as bow tuff. Just my .02. But for 6 bux what ya got to lose O:) >:D

P.s. Listen to a lot of these fellers, they'll point ya the way, they always do
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline kid bow

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 10:08:29 pm »
Thank you all for the help and advice. I appreciate it deeply. I'll look into all the board bow build alongs an see what I need hope you all have an awesome evening.
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 11:15:47 pm »
Kid, read George Tsoukalas' website. It will set you on the right path.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kid bow

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 11:20:51 pm »
Thank you I'll be sure to give it a look.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 12:11:33 am »
I forgot who it was, but a winning bow of a RO board speed contest was a pyramid with about two inches of set. I'm pretty sure as long as set doesn't increase over time and isn't so severe as to rob a bow of its draw weight or structural integrity it's just considered undesirable for its association with a poorly designed bow.
I'm not saying that a bow bow with set cannot be a very fast bow but I belive that to achieve the maximum a piece of wood will give it needs to have a very low amount of set. And theoretically to make the fastest possible bow it needs to have no set at all, this is what I've come to belive though listening to other bowyer's, however for practical purposes, and with no evidence to back it up, I suspect that anything under half an Inch of set  May not even have a notable perhaps even measurable effect on performance and that anything under two inches is certainly acceptable
I like free stuff.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 12:53:26 am »

I'm not saying that a bow bow with set cannot be a very fast bow but I belive that to achieve the maximum a piece of wood will give it needs to have a very low amount of set. And theoretically to make the fastest possible bow it needs to have no set at all, this is what I've come to belive though listening to other bowyer's, however for practical purposes, and with no evidence to back it up, I suspect that anything under half an Inch of set  May not even have a notable perhaps even measurable effect on performance and that anything under two inches is certainly acceptable
[/quote]

Yeah, at under two inches of set I'd suspect release/draw/etc.form errors would get in the way of accurately measuring drops in efficiency. Even training wheel bows vary shot to shot by a few fps.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2014, 01:23:49 am »
I'd bet a bow with 2" of set or even 4" of set can kill a deer if the archer uses the right arrow and does his job so is it the badly built bow or the archer?  :-\
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2014, 02:35:08 am »
Depends on who you ask ;)

Truth be told it doesn't take much to put a sharp head into and through a deer's vitals, but state laws and archers' confidence levels demand more than what's absolutely necessary, sometimes a whole heck of a lot more.

Then you've got guys like me trying to make faster and faster self bows 'cause we don't have the sense to stop and enjoy what we made last time :o O:) But it's more about the making than the shooting for me, personally.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

mikekeswick

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 05:40:28 am »
Set is a result of crushed wood cells on the belly. More set = low string tension at brace = less energy stored = slower arrow.  :(
I've made various test bows from tension strong wood and pulled them until I had a lot of set. Then i've gone to the bandsaw and sawed those puppies in half (along the neutral plane)...the back half then pops straight and the belly goes into MORE set. So quite often that 2 inch or whatever is actually being held at a lower level of set by the back...and the belly is in a worse state than you might have thought.
So with regards to the above r/o bow the fiberglass has put the belly of an already tension strong/compression weak wood into more strain than it would have felt if it had been left unbacked (wether the grain was good enough to be left as a self back is another matter!). 

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 09:10:43 am »
Thanks, Pat B. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline kid bow

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 10:23:14 am »
Depends on who you ask ;)

Truth be told it doesn't take much to put a sharp head into and through a deer's vitals, but state laws and archers' confidence levels demand more than what's absolutely necessary, sometimes a whole heck of a lot more.

Then you've got guys like me trying to make faster and faster self bows 'cause we don't have the sense to stop and enjoy what we made last time :o O:) But it's more about the making than the shooting for me, personally.

He's got the right Idea. State law requires that a handmade bow be above 40lbs for big game hunting. Even though this bow meets this standard I'm not gunna try hunting with it till I feel fully confident that it will kill te animal quickly and with honor. That's what my grandpa always taught me. Never hunt with something you aren't confident in using.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2014, 10:48:19 am »
Set, no set, or minimal set. Im glad your heady enough to realize what's adequate for your needs.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline kid bow

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 01:09:21 pm »
Thank you pearl. Haha   :D

Offline kid bow

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2014, 01:20:10 pm »
Ok so I narrowed the nocks dramatically and I can definitely see my arrows going faster. They just wiz right out of this bow and into my target in no time. Thanks for the "tips" lol hehehe :P