Author Topic: "Howard" the board  (Read 23310 times)

Offline DGF

Re: "Howard" the board
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2014, 05:09:19 pm »
Sweet bow Chris. Has a real nice look to it from the tips to the contrasting hickory backing. As always, well done.

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2014, 05:22:20 pm »
That's our lion killer at Elm Hall buddy! It'll be fun chucking arrows out there 45-50 yards at a Lion with Hill rip off bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2014, 10:19:18 pm »
That is a sweet Hill bow! 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2014, 06:02:06 am »
You do know Hill bows have string follow built in don't you. ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D see ya in a month. ;)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2014, 09:36:48 am »
That turns my stomach just thinking about it pappy!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B.

« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2014, 09:55:56 am »
I ain't too keen on the string follow thing either.

However, I do have one made by a fellow from Michigan that's 59@28 and shoots a 575 grain arrow at a consistent 185 fps...

Surprised me..   Reckon what it would have done if would have had reflex instead !
Friends are the family we choose

Offline adb

« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2014, 06:06:00 pm »
There yah go Chris! My kinda bow! Sweet, clean, nice lines, great tiller. Welcome to the dark side!!

I bet it shoots like a demon, too.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2014, 04:24:01 pm »
Super sweet looking bow......you have given me some inspiration......I have a good bit of ipe put up.......patiently waiting.  Plus the one I have to work on now.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2014, 06:32:09 pm »
Cool! Real nice.
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2014, 11:27:17 am »
Pearl, did you rip that 3/4" thickness to something thinner before beginning the floor tiller?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2014, 11:32:46 am »
No, I rasped in about an 1/8" taper to start with. Then floor tillered it prior to gluing the back on. It keeps the reflex even and not all at the fades.

Offline Gaust

« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2014, 11:56:49 am »
Chris, you're consistent.  Another beautiful bow.  Long narrow bows are very appealing to me and are my favorite style.  Almost bought a Hill bow once.  But now I see that one can be built without using glass.  Another lesson learned.
George

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2014, 12:50:14 pm »
Well thank you George. It really was quite a simple build that anybody can replicate with no special jigs or tools, just glue and boards. I hadn't messed with dimensional bows in so long. It was like playing pool on one of those monster tables, then switching to those short tables! It was very nice having straight lines and specific dimensions to follow. Kind of relaxing.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2014, 01:13:47 pm »
Well thank you George. It really was quite a simple build that anybody can replicate with no special jigs or tools, just glue and boards. I hadn't messed with dimensional bows in so long. It was like playing pool on one of those monster tables, then switching to those short tables! It was very nice having straight lines and specific dimensions to follow. Kind of relaxing.
I know what ya mean Chris, its kinda nice every now and then to biuld one by the numbers, lol.. Your comparison with pool is right on.. When i was a teenager part of my spendin $$ was made on the pool table..we would go early and warm up on the snooker table then switch to the 7 "ers when the money showed up. It was like shootin into 5 gallon buckets after the snooker table, lol >:D 8)... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2014, 03:19:32 pm »
That thing is classily good looking. Awesome bow! It makes me want to buy some ipe. Perfect tiller.