Author Topic: "Howard" the board  (Read 22984 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
"Howard" the board
« on: June 28, 2014, 10:23:25 am »
My brother in law built an ipe deck on his vacation place about 10 years ago. He kept all the board end cuts and scrap in his pole barn. Last summer when I was up there I seen them and asked for a chunk. He handed me a 6" wide by 39-40", 3/4" board. I ripped two 1 1/4" slats and spliced them at 73" total. Then sawed out another 2 chunks to build up a deep handle and the remaining bit was used for overlays. The backing is very thin hickory I planed down, its 1/4 sawn. I've always wanted a Hill style bow, so that's what I aimed for from conception. The entire project is held together by TB3 wood glue. I glued in reflex with clamps, so the bow didn't take measurable set. What I lost I gained back in tension from the hickory. It has a comfy 1 1/8" of reflex after several hundred shots. The finish is Deft satin in a rattle can. The very back of the bow is stained chestnut brown, edges are white still. The grip is chocolate elk leather Drew gave me. The strike plate is also elk hide, but much thinner. The string is a 10 strand D97. See, I don't hate boards.

I attached two full draw shots. One canted with an arrow and one as straight up as I can get.

69" ntn, bottom limb is a 1/2" shorter
1" wide
4" handle
4" fades
-3/8" tips
The belly is a shallow "D" shape, basically an American long bow.
58 @ 28

« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 02:29:19 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: "Howard" the board
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 10:24:38 am »
S'more
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

owlbait

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 10:41:18 am »
Nice job Chris. Your expertise obviously isn't just in the osage area!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 10:42:59 am »
Sweet looking bow right there, board bow or not! :)
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 10:44:46 am »
That bend is immaculate... 8) Excellent work Chris...
                                                                                Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 10:54:11 am »
Very nice!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 10:54:33 am »
Nice Hill style bow, Pearlie. Can you shoot it like Howard did?  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bushboy

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 10:58:31 am »
Cool bow,perfect tiller! 8)
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 11:06:32 am »
Nice lumber bow!  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 11:17:19 am »
Great looking bow Chris. Handle looks a bit uncomfortable but the tiller is nice, everythings a tradeoff! ::)  - Cody
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 11:18:16 am »
Nice Chris! Has that true to the Hill style look and tiller, bet it's an accurate, smooth and pleasing shooter too.
Finish work is top notch as well, doesn't look a bit like scrap lumber now that it has come to have a life of it's own
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 11:26:58 am »
Even Mr. Hill would say that bow looks good!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 11:38:47 am »
Hey thanks a bunch guys! Most of you will probably get to shoot it soon enough. It has a bit of handle buzz going on, think its the lack of silencers on the string. Im shooting 80-85 POC with 160 up front, so a light arrow isn't a problem. I just cant think of a tasteful way to add anything to the string. I like the look now.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 11:40:48 am »
Great looking bow Chris. Handle looks a bit uncomfortable but the tiller is nice, everythings a tradeoff! ::)  - Cody

Cant lie man. When I first cut it out and grabbed that grip I said, "Oh no, its not staying this way". But then my desire for a non-glass Hill bow took over and I carried on. Now that I've adjusted and learned how to grip it, I love it! You'll have to fire some arrows and see what you think.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 11:42:04 am »
Nice Hill style bow, Pearlie. Can you shoot it like Howard did?  ;)

Nope! Not even close Pat. But I was hitting 3/4" square tags at 17 yards the other day every 3-4 shots. This bugger is pretty accurate when I do my job.