Author Topic: Backpacking upgrade  (Read 6471 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Backpacking upgrade
« on: June 28, 2014, 09:12:37 am »
Any backpackers out there? After enough sleepless nights and flat inflatable pads, Ive decided to start hanging. The tarp and hammock, with no see-um mesh, weighs less than #4 together. My BA Air Core pad, 5/8 ground pad and tent weigh #9 together. #5 is ALOT of weight to lose. I can now fit my hammock, tarp and sleeping bag in my packs sleeping bag compartment. I don't like more than #30 (including pole, tackle, tomahawk and stool). Without a few pounds of water in my bottles Im well under #25. That's for a 3-4 day excursion. The whole hammock set up was under $150 to put together.  ;)

The hammock is a Hammock Bliss model - 1 1/2# plus (2) figure 9 clips
The trap is an Egret 10 x 12 - 2# plus rope's

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Backpacking upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 10:10:51 am »
Looks cozy and ultra lite... 8) To warm for me now though...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 10:27:57 am »
Air goes right through it Don. It feels kinda' weird really. It cant wet either. Water cant soak in, it falls right through. Very cool material.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

FAW

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 10:55:05 am »
Nice setup, Pearldrums. Does the netting and hammock come together or do you have to get the mesh separate and design it to fit?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 11:31:26 am »
Nice Pearlie, but you could cut out some more weight if you leave the bird feeders at home.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 11:33:48 am »
FAW the netting and hammock is sewn together along one side and zippered on the other. There is a little 6 x 6 pouch sewn to the zipper side also, you can see it hanging down in the pic. The whole thing stuffs inside itself.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 11:34:49 am »
Nice Pearlie, but you could cut out some more weight if you leave the bird feeders at home.

No bird feeders = no targets for my sling shot Eddie. Gotta have targets to get better! Sling shottin' is a riot around camp.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 11:36:19 am »
 :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 12:15:12 pm »
nice set up, sling shots are fun, but you need to try an atlatl
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline wildman

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 03:51:09 pm »
A buddy of mine has a war bird he swears by it. Nice set up I have spent a fortune on backpacking pads to come to the conclusion I despise them all. Trick I have found is to put in so many miles your ready to drop dead and or push on after dark and make a horrible camp in a haste. That way you just fall out from exhaustion :laugh:
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 03:57:52 pm »
Chris where did you pick your hammock & tarp up at.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 04:14:34 pm »
that's pretty much what I use as well!  Just be careful cause mosquitoes can bite through the bottom so don't be sleeping shirtless. lol, made that mistake exactly once.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 05:02:42 pm »
Yeah!  I use the Henessy Hammock.  It's great.   The only thing, like Primitive Tim said, was the skeeters can bite through any bare skin laying directly against the fabric or mesh.  In the summer, no sleeping pad in neccessary, but just make sure you have a sleeping bag between you and the fabric of the hammock. 

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 05:17:31 pm »
Yep, Hennessy here too. In summer you can get away with just the hammock, but in winter it becomes a different story. There's all sorts of under quilts and things to bring (depending on how bad your winter is)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 10:19:21 pm »
Chris where did you pick your hammock & tarp up at.

I bought both on Amazon. Hard to find a better deal.