Author Topic: Atl atls  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Wolf Watcher

Atl atls
« on: June 27, 2014, 12:04:27 pm »
For a few years I have been involved with the Wyoming Game and Fish in teaching skills to young people at one of Wyo's state parks.  I did a knapping session one year and last year we did an elk bugling class for some of the older kids.  It has been very rewarding to see the interest these young people have in learning new skills.  There will be several other areas of instruction besides the one I will be involved with.  This year they have asked me to do an Atl atl class where the kids will actually make and learn to use them.  They plan is to use pvc for the launcher and possibly cane for the darts.  They are thinking of using duct tape for the fletching.  I have to admit that this is not my field of expertise although I have been a "hunting" archer for over sixty years.  So I am asking for help from some of my PA members in preparing for this task!  I was thinking of using trade point designed heads that they will have to install and wrap on the dart.  Is this a good thing to attempt?  Also there is no cane in this country so was hoping to make a trade for several dart shafts.  Hawk Huston and his son Josiah have atl atls so maybe they can show me how to use them.  I have horns to trade as long as the elk horns are not shipped whole and can do some leather work like a canteen, gun slings, knapping rocks, etc.  Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.  I plan to go back thru the different How Tos to learn what I can about making and using them.  Thanks for your help! Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: Atl atls
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 12:16:02 pm »
Lots of youtube videos on making and using them. Landscapes supply for "cane" used for staking plants in the garden. I think I saw one using duct tape for fletching as well. Have seen quick ones made from elderberry - launcher and shaft. The ones I use regularly here in Yosemite are from Thunderbird Atlatls.  There are also vids on PVC launchers. Good luck with that, sounds like fun.
Ben

Offline bubby

Re: Atl atls
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 01:58:36 pm »
They are super easy to make, watch billy vergers videos on YouTube, feathers are real easy just two feathers tied front and back but the tape will work, they really don't need anything, you can use the came plant stakes from a garden center to, they are a lot of fun
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹