Author Topic: String alignment  (Read 3153 times)

Don Case

String alignment
« on: June 25, 2014, 02:23:02 pm »
I just did a google search on string alignment and I am a little wiser than I was but what I don't know is why does it have to be on the center of the handle? It would seem to me that having the string line up with the arrow rest would be better. Those funny looking modern bows seem to go to a lot of work to get center shot. What problems may I have if the string is off to one side?

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: String alignment
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 02:45:46 pm »
I've made a couple bows where the string lined up to the left side of the bow.  The issue I've run into is that the string digs into your bow arm real deep.  I'm a little too prideful to make an arm guard...  >:D
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 02:52:54 pm »
Don, it is easier to cut a glass bow to center shot than it is to build properly spined arrows. I'd rather have my bows built the way they should be and learn how to build a properly spined arrow. I guess I'm more into archery then they are.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 03:29:44 pm »
    If the string is off center it will torque the bow that direcion also. If it is a little off favoring the side I shoot off of I don't worry about it too much.

Don Case

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 03:39:06 pm »
Pat are you saying it's more a workmanship thing? I can understand that.

Badger I can see it would twist the bow a bit.

I guess what I'm after is does either of these things have any effect on the flight of the arrow or the lifetime of the bow? I will still try to do it the proper way but it would help if I knew why I was doing it.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 03:48:22 pm »
Nocks can be cut deeper on one side prior to finishing them to bring the string closer to center. Handles can be shaped at the very end to track the string better.

A little off is not an issue. A lot off is. Shooting on the off side can mean a bruised forearm and lousy tuning or perhaps an excessively high brace height.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 04:08:07 pm »
Don, I was making a joke...but it is true that many "archers" know nothing about arrows or proper arrow spine.
 Like Badger said it will torque the bow when drawn and I guess it could affect the durability of a wood bow if the string is off center.
 Like George said you can cut string grooves deeper on one side and/or move the unfinished handle over a bit to help with the string alignment. Usually when 'm building a bow the handle and tips are left wide for this reason until at least first brace. I usually wait until the end.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 04:27:52 pm »
You can be a little off centre without too much problem, but if you go too far the bow will try to twist in your hand (Torque).
One trick is to angle the grip slightly so the top of the grip is more right than the bottom of the grip. This can get you nearer centre shot while leaving your arm out of the way. The thing to consider is where your hand presses on the bow, that wants to be in line with the tips and the string line is ideal also in line with the tips, everything else can go where it likes within reason.
I like to dangle a bow from it's nocking point on the string and look at how it lines up... using a plumb bob to check the vertical.
A picture is worth a thousand words, so have a look at this post on my blog showing string alignment on a bow with some limb twist.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/maple-finished-hazel-bark-on-bow.html
You can see I have it slightly off centre for a right handed archer, but it's still well within the grip.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 04:58:12 pm »
You can be a little off centre without too much problem, but if you go too far the bow will try to twist in your hand (Torque).
One trick is to angle the grip slightly so the top of the grip is more right than the bottom of the grip. This can get you nearer centre shot while leaving your arm out of the way. The thing to consider is where your hand presses on the bow, that wants to be in line with the tips and the string line is ideal also in line with the tips, everything else can go where it likes within reason.
I like to dangle a bow from it's nocking point on the string and look at how it lines up... using a plumb bob to check the vertical.
A picture is worth a thousand words, so have a look at this post on my blog showing string alignment on a bow with some limb twist.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/maple-finished-hazel-bark-on-bow.html
You can see I have it slightly off centre for a right handed archer, but it's still well within the grip.
Del

Del, sometimes I just build the handle to center it with the torque, round off the back of the handle a little and by pulling gently on the string with your thumb just laying across the handle you will see where it wants to center, then just slightly angle the handle that direction. I usually do this when I have some propeller twist.

Don Case

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 05:05:28 pm »
Pat- Sorry, I missed that, I'm usually quicker :-[ :-[. I must have been thinking too hard.

George- I think you got the closest to what I was looking for. I guess it's the sore wrist that leads to the high brace height?

Del- I saw that picture when I was doing the Google search.

So within the grip is OK as long as long as it doesn't slap your wrist leading to a high brace height. I can live with that :D :D

Thanks guys

Don Case

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 05:08:49 pm »

Del, sometimes I just build the handle to center it with the torque, round off the back of the handle a little and by pulling gently on the string with your thumb just laying across the handle you will see where it wants to center, then just slightly angle the handle that direction. I usually do this when I have some propeller twist.

So, if you were to make the handle round this problem wouldn't come up. Is that what I'm reading?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 05:30:18 pm »
Del

Yeah, I'll do that too to get the grip comfortable with how the bow is pulling... no point wrestling with 'em... let 'em tell you what they want... or is that Mrs Cat? Whatever ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 08:24:13 pm »
Don, if you are shooting it on the off side and both limbs are the same size, then turn it around. You have noting to loose. I have had to do that on an occasion or 2 or 3 or 4. :) Jawge
Set Happens!

Don Case

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 08:55:48 pm »
Sorry, what is the "off side". I know what it means in hockey >:D

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 09:12:06 pm »
The side where it is is off center. Sorry.
Some like to shoot it off center so they are close to center shot.
I do not. Harder to tune. Punishes my forearm.
Jawge
Set Happens!