Author Topic: Staining Osage - help with color choice  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Blackcoyote

Staining Osage - help with color choice
« on: June 24, 2014, 09:03:21 am »
Almost ready for finish on a bow I want to take out west this fall on a mule deer hunt...  All osage with horn tips, I plan on putting bull snake skins on it.  However I'd like to darken up the remaining osage that is visible.

Anyone found a good stain color that works well with Osage? I'm just looking to darken it up and still complement the bull snake skins and not have it overpower it as it naturally darkens.

Any pics would help...  I still plan on experimenting with a few different color choices just didn't want to buy a bunch of stuff I won't use down the road.

Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Staining Osage - help with color choice
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 01:05:03 pm »
Drew, leather dye or any alcohol based dye will work. Osage darkens naturally to a beautiful chocolate brown over time. Between now and your hunt it will change from the bright yellow to a darker tone. It is sunlight that darkens it so you can just put it in bright sunlight for a few hours each day and shortly it will darken. I never dye or stain osage anymore because its natural color is the best. IMO.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Staining Osage - help with color choice
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 01:16:01 pm »
Chickened out on the grey/green Drew? I liked it!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.