Author Topic: String alignment, How do you tell where its tracking ?  (Read 6023 times)

Offline Buckeye Guy

String alignment, How do you tell where its tracking ?
« on: June 25, 2014, 05:48:16 pm »
So as not to clutter the other fellows post I will start another thread.
How are you deciding where your string is tracking ?
I am not at all convinced that many of us actually know where our strings track as well as we would like to think we do.
I am glad that it probably doesn't matter near as much as we would like to think it does
Now I am going to make some popcorn and set back and watch this one go
Have fun
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: String alignment, How do you tell where its tracking ?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 06:25:42 pm »
There are a variety of tricks like pulling it on the tiller whilst viewing it from the the side rather than from the front as per usual.
Or, this time pulling it on the tiller in the usual way... and if the handle of the bow is free to move on the tiller you can tape a thin spill or cane etc sticking out from the grip pointing towards you. The string and tips will pull back straight because it will pull in line with the pulley and the grip will rotate if the bow doesn't track cleanly and that will show up by the spill moving up and down.
Similarly taping spills to the limbs can show if they are twisting as the bow is draw. See here:-
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/twisting-bow.html
Mind all this is a bit esoteric, as the bow will settle and balance along it's own line from full draw back to brace.
A bit like the discussion of limb timing, and the slo mo video that shows the limbs return together even on a very asymmetric bow.
Other than that, I've got no idea >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 06:26:55 pm »
Guy, I used to hang the bow by the string horizontal and hold a light above it and read the shadow...Now I do the same but instead of the light I have a piece of wire I hang from the string that is around 5" long and let gravity point the wire at my handle. I can post pics the weekend if you like...
                                                                                                                        Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 06:58:08 pm »
I make mostly twisted bows. That way I just need to bi-sect the grip rather than line it up. That's hard.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 07:11:52 pm »
Guy, I used to hang the bow by the string horizontal and hold a light above it and read the shadow...Now I do the same but instead of the light I have a piece of wire I hang from the string that is around 5" long and let gravity point the wire at my handle. I can post pics the weekend if you like...
                                                                                                                        Don

Thatrs a good idea!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 07:32:05 pm »
You can learn a lot about a bow by pulling it back to full draw and just focusing on what the bow is trying to tell
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 07:33:21 pm »
A loose grip helps a lot there Marc.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 07:37:30 pm »
Cool tip twisting dial there Del !
not sure what it tells us as for as string tracking , but cool anyway ?
I figured them English bows being so round , you could just pull them any old way and would track about the same ;) >:D :laugh: :laugh:

Don does that tell me how the string tracks or how it balances ?  ;)
Does have merit I may have to give it a try

I am with you Pearly them snakes and humps , just get a string on that thing lets shoot

Marq , I am with you there!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 07:48:31 pm »
A loose grip helps a lot there Marc.

Naturally
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 08:46:23 pm »
I look at it. 
I string the bow, balance one nock on the bench and then sight down the string.
Is this a trick question? :)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 03:08:50 am »
@ Buckeye.
Yeah... at one shoot I saw this English Longbow where it had obviously started to bend sideways during tiller and the bloke didn't know how to stop it.
The darned thing was hideous to look at with the sapwood running more down the side than the back on one limb and the whole thing was like a dogs back leg. :o
He was a brave man to shoot it!
But it still did the job.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 04:46:51 am »
@ Buckeye.
Yeah... at one shoot I saw this English Longbow where it had obviously started to bend sideways during tiller and the bloke didn't know how to stop it.
The darned thing was hideous to look at with the sapwood running more down the side than the back on one limb and the whole thing was like a dogs back leg. :o
He was a brave man to shoot it!
But it still did the job.
Del

I've seen a few of those 'yew longbows'...... ;)

I've found the best thing to do if you aren't sure where it's going to track is to leave the whole handle full stave width until it's fullt braced. Then one tip on the bench the other in my hand, back down, belly up and let gravity show you where to cut your handle. Simple and always works. Much better than messing about with heat trying to bend limbs sideways.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 09:15:28 am »
Guy, it does both actually...I use it as a starting point at full brace and to help me align tips to handle center...At full draw any bow even a wheelie bow will torque out of alignment a certain amount depending on the shooter's style or grip pressure ... It has served me well as a starting point at full brace...You can take any bow and no two people will have the same string alignment at full draw...

Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 09:23:43 am »
If you use a rope and pulley for tillering, you'll know if it's off kilter because it will flip on  you on the cradle.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 09:35:47 am »
Gary Davis mentioned something a few years back that changed the way I look. I used to set a tip on the floor, let it swivel to level and close one eye to spy down the string. I don't believe that's a reliable way considering the handle could be way off still. I now put the back of the bow against the wall and then look for alignment. If the back of the handle isn't flat, I compensate a bit. It better mimics the bow in hand that way I believe.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 09:45:18 am by PEARL DRUMS »