Author Topic: I got fed up!  (Read 2223 times)

JacksonCash

I got fed up!
« on: June 22, 2014, 12:25:41 pm »
Last week at work, I made the decision to go on a camping trip, by my self. No where rugged, just a state park campground, for two days, next weekend. I've got a hammock with a mosquito net and a rainfly, a cooler for keeping food in, and a tripod to cook on. I'm not taking the wife, my work phone, or any electronic device, other than my personal cell, which the wife is insisting on. It will be turned off well before I reach the park.
I'm planning on bringing the walking stick I got in the Christmas gift exchange, my tree ID book, and my harmonica as entertainment. Thought about finding out from the park if they are ok with archery at camp sites, but I am pretty sure that would be a negative.

Hopefully this will be the first of similar trips which take me further afield. I haven't been really camping in more than 10 years or so, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: I got fed up!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 12:44:59 pm »
Dude, solo camping trips are the best.  That's when you really learn about yourself. :)  Make a real simple stick and string bow and I doubt the rangers will even recognize it as a bow.  Had someone ask me what my stick was for the other day. lol
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

JacksonCash

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 12:48:01 pm »
That's what I'm hoping for Tim. I find at work and at home, I get too distracted by the goings on to really think about my direction in life. Hopefully if this trip goes well, I'll plan one up in the Adirondacks before the summer is out.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 04:53:08 am »
Do it ! It will cleanse the Soul. I've gone North to a special spot alone and never left camp (except to gather fire wood)  sat and stirred and get lost in the coals. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 05:08:51 pm »
I almost prefer camping alone.  I feel more comfortable practicing my primitive skills with no one around. There is no "Hey man, it's been 1/2 an hour why don't you just use a match already?"  Haha. 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 05:57:52 pm »
I almost prefer camping alone.  I feel more comfortable practicing my primitive skills with no one around. There is no "Hey man, it's been 1/2 an hour why don't you just use a match already?"  Haha.

That's why dressing in leathers and furs, having an unkempt beard, tomahawks, many knives, a belt pistol, and a longrifle are so handy.  People stand the heck back and let you fart around with flint and steel without making comments.  Human instinct for self preservation.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 09:00:42 pm »
Hahaha. I wanna camp with JW. :)

Offline wildman

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 01:17:52 am »
Enjoy every second of your trip. I did a 60 mile float trip with just me and one of my Cur pups last fall. It was amazing, 3days of no one and no where to be but down the river. I also had to check in with the wife daily. It will clear the cobwebs for sure.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

JacksonCash

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 04:24:16 pm »
It was a fantastic weekend, guys. I'll put up some pictures in a separate thread. Only thinks I'd do differently is some place with less people, further from a city, and more time out there.