Author Topic: elm sapling ?  (Read 10985 times)

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: elm sapling ?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 11:59:56 am »
Jawge and Pearl, you both have valid points: Wood is 3 to 4 times stronger in tension than compression, but there is a point where a the back of a sapling is so highly crowned that less than a  third of it's back is doing the tension work.

However, the few sapling bows I have had fail all failed by chrysalling, meaning the back was stronger than the belly.

Pearl, the narrow crown, or the narrowed back of a trapazoidal cross section turns out to help performance by reducing limb weight--in tension, wood has almost no stretch before breaking. So, it doesn't hold that we are balancing the elasticity of back and belly (as I believed until shown otherwise in testing literature). We just don't need as much wood on the back to be as strong as the belly.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 07:46:45 pm »
Now, Jim, I never disagreed about the trapezoidal shape  nor did I ever disagree that most woods are stronger in tension. Just want to set the record straight. :)
Jawgey
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 07:59:41 pm »
  Something I have never been able to figure is how the tension distributes itself to the compression wood. Does it go straight down or does it angle out? My feeling is that it angles on slightly. If thats the case you may have an 80# running down the middle with 10# bows along the edges and it averages out to 50#, the thicker wood is doing more than its share. The tension wood has to have some stretch to it just to be able to bend it, I have no idea how much.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 11:22:38 pm »
To throw in my very small experience, I had about the same sapling, and tried to split it, I was 180 from top to bottom. I roughed out a 48 ntn short bow, and decided to back it with bamboo. After 3 days of drying I put it on the rack, and worked it a bit, when I gave it a bit more the bamboo broke, not the elm. Tough stuff.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 01:55:58 am »
To throw in my very small experience, I had about the same sapling, and tried to split it, I was 180 from top to bottom. I roughed out a 48 ntn short bow, and decided to back it with bamboo. After 3 days of drying I put it on the rack, and worked it a bit, when I gave it a bit more the bamboo broke, not the elm. Tough stuff.

If you look carefully at the belly where the bamboo back  broke, I'm sure you will find there was a compression failure. With an unviolated  back, there is never a tension failure UNTIL there  has already been a compression failure. The belly will not necessarily be in  two pieces, but it will be  crushed.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 01:59:08 am »
Now, Jim, I never disagreed about the trapezoidal shape  nor did I ever disagree that most woods are stronger in tension. Just want to set the record straight. :)
Jawgey

Jawge, you speak truth,  as always.  I was pointing out that you were also correct about narrow backs and that there  is a  point at which one has to compensate for a high crowned back--such as you mentioned, by making the bow longer than usual.

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 03:35:02 pm »
Guess we have to let the young'uns find out for themselves all these things we've spent years learning, Jim.  It's almost time for the Pokenhope. Gonna miss ya. :(Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 03:51:15 pm »
Ill figure it out one day guys. Give me some time!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 07:01:36 pm »
Ill figure it out one day guys. Give me some time!

I don't know Pearly - I think you're a hopeless case!   ;) :P >:D

OneBow

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 07:32:30 pm »
Guess we have to let the young'uns find out for themselves all these things we've spent years learning, Jim.  It's almost time for the Pokenhope. Gonna miss ya. :(Jawge

Or its time for us young'uns to show the some of the old timers things that have been unnecessary for years  8).

Offline bushboy

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 08:03:46 pm »
 This one is cut down to 66" ttt ,so maybe it will survive?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 10:01:52 pm »
I would make it a slight D section to take some stress off the back.  The one I made a few years ago from a 2" D sapling lifted a splinter on the back with a flat belly.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2014, 11:55:56 pm »
Sure, Paul, that's it for sure. :)
Set Happens!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 09:01:42 am »
 ;) ;D ;D ;D
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 09:09:46 am »
I would take years of experience over "New" things more than not. Not all old things are the best way, but there is probably a reason that it has been done like that for so long. Woodworking in a traditional manner is just that, you really can't improve on how something was done 50 or 100 years ago and still consider it "Traditional". If I were given the opportunity to learn from some of these "Old timers" I would jump at the chance.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.