Author Topic: How I use a long string  (Read 15199 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: How I use a long string
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2014, 08:20:11 am »
I hear ya,I have slowed way down for sure, I shoot more,go to events/help some beginners and branched off into other things ,like knives,old tools and about anything to just take me away from bows for a while, now I work on them when I want to ,not like I have to. ;) :) :) Ya I have seen you at it,when you was at the Classic,before day light till way up in the night,steady at it the whole time ,not taking much time for eating or sleeping. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2014, 08:40:41 am »
I saw that post Steve.  I watched you wrestle with stringing that monster.  Tremendously heavy bow at proportions not much different than the average bow.  (Great post by the way.)  That is a perfect example of my point.  String it early on with a low brace and you can eliminate some of the guess work without any ill effects.  You will rarely miss weight as a bonus.  Recurves are the obvious exception, and I long string those until I can get a string on at low brace, but you need a lot farther tip travel to get there.               
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Badger

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2014, 08:51:32 am »
 Slimbob, I had that 100# osage on the shooting machine yeaterday, I got the tiller all fixed up on it and took some accurate readings with a winch and electronic scale. 104#@26". Anyway I wanted to see how fast it would shoot a 500 grain arrow and a 1,000 grain arrow. I put up a little guard for my face that partially blocked my view. The release mechanism I use is a compound bow release. I kept getting readings like 149 or 155, I thought the bow has to be faster than that and was getting frustrated before I reallized my release mechanism was letting go at about 17" LOL. Going to rebuild the machine this week and try again

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2014, 08:59:17 am »
Very interested in hearing the results.  155 with that short power stroke and a heavy arrow is pretty fast I think.  Another 9 inches and 30-40 lbs.  ???

Offline Badger

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2014, 09:02:47 am »
 That was the light arrow. Only looking for about 165 with the heavy arrow at full draw, maybe 220 with the 500 grain arrow hopefully. Will post the results.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 09:07:57 am by Badger »

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2014, 09:12:55 am »
Yeah I saw that.  Still impressive.  Very curious on the final stats.  I have not run any of my bows thru a chrono in years.  Just not something that think much about anymore.  It is still interesting to me to see these kinds of tests and results, especially on a near prototype like this bow.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2014, 09:19:24 am »
I prefer using a long string that is the same NTN length of the bow but I have used  longer string.  I think using the shorter string might be easier for a newbie since many of them tend to long string tiller the bow with the outer limbs a bit weak.  Knowing how to check the weight with the long string will be pretty useful for a lot of them
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2014, 06:28:55 am »
I used Steve's scale trick last evening getting an Osage to brace,I still was using my tiller stick ,but as I moved down the stick getting closer to brace I would pull it using my hand held scale,worked nice,I will add that to how I get one ready to brace,it should help to keep me from braceing to early and way to heavy as I usually do. ??? Thanks Steve. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2014, 09:35:07 am »
    Mark, shorter the string the better. I used it on the deflex bow and it worked fine also. A lot of new guys have trouble comming light, works well for that.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2014, 10:06:50 am »
Ya I always use a tiller string just long enough to fit. Don't have as much trouble coming in light as I do probably braceing it when it is way heavy. This will help on that. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2014, 05:54:58 pm »
 Steve, got to report to you on this one Sir...The recent bow I posted had a "flat profile" and pulled 57#@26...Put a long string just long enough to slip over the tips and pulled with the scale and it registered 54#@26 ! I believe that you are on to something here with out a doubt...This should help many folks...I have to admit I have braced way to early/heavy in the past and this system will give me more wiggle room/time to adjust better before risking early/overly heavy brace...
                                                                                                                                Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Badger

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2014, 09:34:42 pm »
  Thanks Don, I was hoping for some feedback good or bad, I have been using it for some time now with pretty good luck. I am not real fussy about string length but try to keep in hanging less than 8".

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2018, 09:31:51 am »
Found this post today. Would have been good to find it many moons ago.

Particularly for those new to tillering a bow-to-be, this would seem to be useful posting and deserving to be added to archive.
Ya'll agree?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2018, 09:55:17 am »
In my early days, I broke  bows because they were too heavy to be strung.

So I started long string tillering out to 10" of string movement (not tip movement) looking for good tiller and target weight or a little over. That brings it to brace height. I use a string about 1/4"-1/2"  longer  than the bow. Not too concerned about string length.

Anyway, that put the future target weight at about 10-15# over target weight. Plenty of tillering  room and not too heavy. Just right. :)

Then, I string it at a short brace about 3" from string to back.

More on my site.

http://traditionalarchery101.com

Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Will B

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2018, 10:05:45 am »
Thanks Badger. This is very helpful for me!