Author Topic: 20+ year old osage haul  (Read 5263 times)

Offline osage outlaw

20+ year old osage haul
« on: June 19, 2014, 12:07:57 am »
So this story starts about 5 years ago.  I was talking selfbows with a former boss of mine.  He used to make osage bows and has even taken an elk with one.  He tells me about an older guy who makes bows in our area.  He only lives about 10 minutes away from me.  I looked the guys phone number up because I thought it would be a great opportunity to meet a local bowyer and learn from his experience.  I tried calling several times but he never answered the phone.  I eventually gave up. 
     Skip ahead to last summer and I'm introduced to a local police detective who is big into traditional archery.  He writes a hunting article for the local paper each week.  We ran into each other at local events a couple of times.  He tells me that the guy who I was trying to get a hold of recently passed away.  He said that his son was cleaning out his barns and was burning armfuls of arrow shafts.  He said that there was still a pile of osage staves in the barn.  He got the sons number and sent it to me.  I tried calling and calling but no answer.  I looked up every number I could find.  I even had my niece texting her friends trying to get a working number.  No matter what I tried I just couldn't get in touch with this guy.  After a few weeks I gave up and figured the staves were burnt just like the arrow shafts. 
     Jump ahead another year to this morning.  I get a call on my phone that says restricted number.  I usually let those calls go to voice mail but for some reason I answered.  It was the detective that first told me about the staves.  He sounded kind of serious and asked if I had a few minutes to talk.  My first thought was wondering if I had done something to get on the wrong side of the law.  He told me he was talking to a guy who was working for the bank and was cleaning out the property of the old bowyer who had passed away.  The guy mentioned that there was a bunch of firewood stacked in the barn and he could have it if he wanted.  The detective knew exactly what it was and it sure wasn't firewood.  He went and got all the wood and brought it to his house.  He asked me if I wanted to come and look at it.  He told me I could have it all if I wanted it.  He said that he would like a bow from it if I was able to get some good staves.  That sounded like a good deal to me so I loaded it up and brought it home.  Its kind of funny how this stash ended up finding me.  While I was working on it I felt sad that the guy who cut it never got to make it into bows.  It made me think what would happen to my stash when I pass on to the happy hunting grounds.
    When I got it home I started sorting through it and could tell it was some old wood.  I only found one piece with a date on it.  I immediately started tearing into it.  The ends were painted so I cut them off to see the rings better.  Most of it was around 8' long.  There are a lot of drying checks and bug damage.  I don't think either problem goes very deep.  I got about 75% of it split into staves before I quit for the night. 

The first stave I split had a nice hole in it.

The checks look pretty bad.

But they don't go very deep.  This is the same end as the picture above.  The rings are decent on most of it to.

I love the color on this one

This is where I quit for the day.  The stuff in the back pile still needs split.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
Re: 20+ year old osage haul
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 12:17:46 am »
Very nice!  Glad it worked out and didn't become fire wood!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 12:18:44 am »
  I know whay they call you outlaw, Good Haul!!

Offline wildman

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 12:19:52 am »
FATE bro!
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Will H

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 12:29:56 am »
That is 2 cool Clint! Congrats brotha!!!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 12:32:06 am »
Great story Clint, Hope you get many fine bows from it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 12:33:27 am »
Awesome score.  Glad it worked its way to you rather than the burn pile. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 12:38:17 am »
Im jealous :) congrats!
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 12:47:13 am »
I thought for sure these had been burnt last year.  I was very surprised to find out they weren't. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 01:12:13 am »
Man Clint you always have the best wood.  Congrats that huff looks fantastic.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 01:14:27 am »
That's awesome man! Good things come to those who wait!
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pat B.

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 01:30:35 am »
Sweet !!!!

I wonder the same thing occasionally, what will become of my ''stuff"....
I try to keep it whittled down to a managable degree so there will only be 3 or 4 dump truck loads  :P
Friends are the family we choose

Offline chamookman

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 05:09:23 am »
Karma for sure Clint - NICE wood. Looks like there are ALOT of in-side splits to make, 'course that's the GREED factor coming out of Me  O:). Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 05:55:53 am »
Great story Clint. I hope my boys put my wood stash and arrow shafts to better use than this gentleman's son did. I'm glad to hear the staves found a worthy home.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 06:54:20 am »
Sweet...I'd exclusively work that stuff and let all your other stuff sit n season even more ;)