Author Topic: Backpack challenge bow  (Read 7715 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Backpack challenge bow
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 09:50:41 pm »
If somebody can tell me what native tribes would have made an ash bow similar to this and what they decorated them like, I'll try to mimic it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 10:02:26 pm »
Nice job!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline JonW

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 10:40:53 pm »
Chris you would be in the ballpark for most of the Mid West tribes depending on nock style. Just be careful how you label it. Some guys are sensitive to that.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 11:36:34 pm »
I'll vouch for that. 
Impressive muscle In that little shorty!  Nice.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pat B.

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 11:47:44 pm »
I think PD can make a good bow out of anything !
Friends are the family we choose

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 05:27:42 am »
Very nice shorty,looks like a killer to me.  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 05:56:14 am »
Chris - Check out some of the Great Lakes Tribes decorations - Sauk/Fox/Ojibwa.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 06:56:23 am »
That's an awesome bend PD.  The grain on white ash is some of the prettiest of the whitewoods to me.  The ash that we have down south isn't such good bow wood.  Green ash is all we have in my neck of the woods.  I admire the short bows for their capability, but I don't shoot them real well unless I am at real close range.  My groups seem to spread out a bit with them compared to longer bows - of course I'm no Howard Hill regardless of the limb length!  I bet that one would dress up nice.       
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 07:18:47 am »
Chris you would be in the ballpark for most of the Mid West tribes depending on nock style. Just be careful how you label it. Some guys are sensitive to that.

Thanks Jon. Yah, just to remember to type "style" in my title. Got it!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2014, 07:20:15 am »

Chris - Check out some of the Great Lakes Tribes decorations - Sauk/Fox/Ojibwa.

Ill do that Bob. I was looking at Jim Hamm's book on line last night. Might just have to buy it. I need a new one for the book shelf anyway.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2014, 07:24:21 am »
That's an awesome bend PD.  The grain on white ash is some of the prettiest of the whitewoods to me.  The ash that we have down south isn't such good bow wood.  Green ash is all we have in my neck of the woods.  I admire the short bows for their capability, but I don't shoot them real well unless I am at real close range.  My groups seem to spread out a bit with them compared to longer bows - of course I'm no Howard Hill regardless of the limb length!  I bet that one would dress up nice.       

"Short bow" is such a relative term Howard. If a guy full draws 22-23" on a bendy, is a 44-45" bow really short? No its not. I pull 26-27" on a bendy so a short bow for me would be 52-54" long. Both bows are working just as hard as the next. One is just longer and being pulled farther. But yah, I cant shoot longer bows worth a hoot either! Maybe next year at the Classic we can help find each others arrows.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 08:12:48 am »
Nice bend in that little thing.  It will fit in a back quiver easy.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Will H

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2014, 08:14:31 am »
Nice way to step up to the plate Chris. That thing is tiny!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2014, 08:55:08 am »
I'm skeeerd, I'm staying in the 60's...but I got my popcorn ready and enjoy watching these short movies...Nice bend there Pearly, Yank it back 2 more and give us a better view...
                                                                                                                         Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2014, 09:00:25 am »
Give it a run Don! These don't require any special short bow skills, matter of fact they are much easier than a stiff handled longer bow to tiller. They will either break or they wont. Nothing any bowyer can do to prevent from that happening.