Author Topic: Help with limb twist  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Swatch

Help with limb twist
« on: June 17, 2014, 10:24:20 pm »
I have a recurve and the top limb is twisted such that the string is shifted to the left instead of being in the center. Is that side the strong side or the weak side?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 10:37:31 pm by Swatch »
Steve Hatch
The Yurt Man

Offline Crogacht

Re: Help with limb twist
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 11:09:06 pm »
The way I understand it, if it is twisting, then there is one side that is being pulled "further" than the other side with the same force applied. Therefore the side that moves further is the weak side.

I can't back this up with actual experience, so wait for others to chime in, but that's my (current) understanding of the problem.

EDIT: there are some interesting diagrams if you do a google search:

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=bow+making+limb+twist+weak+strong+side&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ofWgU7nfMdGYlAXD0oDwDg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=955#q=bow+limb+twist+weak+strong+side&tbm=isch
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 11:13:42 pm by Crogacht »

Offline Swatch

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 11:22:37 pm »
Thanks, I was taking a little of the wrong side and it wasn't helping.  I thought I would ask before I was sorry. You helped a lot because the diagrams that you pointed me to were very clear.  Thanks!
Steve Hatch
The Yurt Man

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 11:28:30 pm »
Does it only twist when braced or is it twisted at rest?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Swatch

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 12:16:49 am »
Only when braced.
Steve Hatch
The Yurt Man

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 12:31:45 am »
Lightly grasp the limb on one edge between your thumb and fingers and feel the thickness. Move your hand up and down the limb and from side to side. You should be able to feel the thicker areas that are causing the twist.
 If you have a tiller Gizmo work it down both side of the limb along belly. It will show you where you need to remove wood to remove a twist.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 06:16:15 am »
Careful with a gizmo on a recurve, [that is what you said it was] it will show you the wood you DON'T want to take off. I am assuming this is a wood recurve,if it is glass their are other way to fix it but this ant the place to discuss it. ;) :) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 08:51:16 am »
When you are holding a bow normally and it has limb twist, it will twist towards the weak side. If your limb leans left as you hold it, the left side is thinner or weaker. That's the most simple way to describe it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Richard B

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 03:46:39 pm »
what is a tiller gizmo?

Offline Swatch

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 12:10:04 am »
Thanks, you guys helped me resolve the issue and I am now back on track!  Thanks a lot!
Steve Hatch
The Yurt Man