Author Topic: Straightening check  (Read 2032 times)

Don Case

Straightening check
« on: June 12, 2014, 05:38:45 pm »
These are pictures of an OS arrow I'm trying to straighten. I'm wondering how straight it has to be. I can see a couple of bends that need to be dealt with. What I most curious about are the little wiggles. Do they all have to be gone? I don't think I could ever get it dowel like. I've already got hours into this. I could almost make a bow in that time. Getting a little PO'ed with arrow making. 

Offline Ed Brooks

Re: Straightening check
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 06:29:46 pm »
Don, I think as long as the ends line up and the middle isn't too badly bent, you are ok to launch them. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 07:27:59 pm »
Don, like Ed said if the tip and nock line up and the shaft spins true a little squiggle in between doesn't matter. Mount a field point on the shaft and spin it on your finger. That will tell you if it needs more straightening.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gutpile

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 01:57:53 pm »
I usually take out the big bends....then start at one end and work all the way down from there by the time you reach the other end should be perfect..my cane spins like store bought arrows....no wobbles perfect.... I don't sand off rhine..I do hit the nodes that are too proud and thats it..no sealer and they are 7 to 8 years old .. gut

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 03:59:47 pm »
Get to shooting that baby
times a waisting
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !