Author Topic: Question about using ash saplings for arrows  (Read 2666 times)

Offline Patches

Question about using ash saplings for arrows
« on: June 04, 2014, 08:03:58 pm »
I cut some small (3/8 to 1/2 inch diameter) ash saplings today. They seem kind of weak to me for arrows. Has anyone every used ash saplings for arrows? The field will be brush hogged pretty soon and so I was getting as many possible arrow making shafts that I could. Also got grey dog wood, rough leaf dogwood, cherry, and plum. Thanks for the advice in the ash saplings.

Neal
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Don Case

Re: Question about using ash saplings for arrows
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 10:23:47 pm »
I haven't used ash but the OS that I use is kind of mushy when green. I stiffens a lot when it dries. Ash may be similar.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 12:37:27 am »
With most shoot shafts you need second year growth. I've not tried ash but the dogwoods should have good arrow shoots.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Patches

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 10:06:11 am »
The ash is definitely second year growth. I will let tehem dry and see what happens.  I am alot more optimistic about the dogwood and the plum.  I painted the ends of the shoots last night with latex paint, but the humidity is so high right now that it is still not dry this morning.   
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline markinengland

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 05:07:33 pm »
I made some arrows from ash shoots springing up after clearance under a power line. They made quite good arrows though they did need restraightening from time to time. They shrank in drying and stiffened up. Quite different to ash from a mature tree, lighter.
Mark in England