Author Topic: The insanity continues....2nd Pike, 2" now 46" 52#@26"  (Read 13967 times)

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
Re: The insanity continues....2nd Pike, 2" now 46" 52#@26"
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2014, 08:15:05 pm »
"Since I started making whitewood bows narrower and deeper the set does not seem to be much of an issue."

I guess my experiences have been the opposite, at least with the inner limbs.  I get less set when they're wider and thinner (up to a point).  When I make a bow outta oak or ash, and I keep the inner limbs 2" + they tend to take less set than if I make em 1.5" or less.  Of course that's with a semi pyramid design etc... 

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline half eye

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2014, 08:41:28 pm »
Ross, I'm going make a post tomorrow on how I make these scrap stave shorties. If it will help take a look and maybe you can see what you do different than me. First if your pyramid has the rigid handle area take a look at the "D" section grip area on the bendy, and might give an idea of maybe tweeking the grip area on the rigid handle models.....anyway hope ya figure that out because it will give you more options for wood that otherwise would not make you a bow.
rich

Offline Traxx

« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2014, 02:38:23 am »
Ross, I'm going make a post tomorrow on how I make these scrap stave shorties.

Lookin forward to that.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2014, 02:45:02 am »
Hey Rich, I think that one's about short enough now!

This was very interesting. Remaining curious after having made so many is a gift, you know. Especially past one's youth.

Big cheers to you and big cheers to that adorable shortie for Holding up so well  ;D
Don't shoot!

Offline half eye

« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2014, 07:32:45 am »
Traxx, probably dont have much of anything to teach you about short NA style bows. Got to believe that you have a good handle on short bows ;)

Jodocus, Thank you for the nice compliment, I am going to do that, as it should turn out just under 50# at my hunting draw length when finished up. That weight is easier for me to shoot accurately and plenty of power for white-tail deer. Thanks again
rich

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2014, 07:37:30 am »
Good deal.  If it's shooting good for you at that length, quit choppin' it off :laugh: - I want to see that little yeller stick laying on a deer in a few months!   ;D
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2014, 07:57:24 am »
The bow still looks great, braced, drawn and resting profiles are sweet. I like that little sucker where you got it now Rich, nice work.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline half eye

« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2014, 08:08:04 am »
Thanks Howard, do my best, the bow deserves to be blooded. Ya grow some mean Osage down there my friend 8) 8)

Thanks B2, Not only is it useable for me but I dont think there is any thing to be gained by continuing on to a point thats it is not useable. The bows can be shortened and still maintain integrity and the short circle tillered bows can be made to draw way more than I tried before, I'm happy to have found  the useful limits of the design as they apply to my questions.
rich

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2014, 09:11:16 am »
Rich, that's an amazing short bow my friend...You definitely have the knowledge, skill and experience to pull that off...Thanks for posting and I'm still enjoying the short one you sent me...Gett'n pretty good with it to...
               Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline half eye

« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2014, 01:01:44 pm »
Thanks Don, I'll get started on the post this afternoon and you all can see how simple it really is. There is one thing thats probably gonna get some "comments" but other than that aint nothin to it. I figure if somebody tries it ya might see a few more of them being made and enjoyed.
rich
just for a teaser...the bow I built for the build along is just over 41" long....near 45 at 25" ....I'm not sure though because the string come off....aint found the string but the bow was stuck in the ceiling and I damned near crapped myself....bows not hurt though 8) 8) 8) 8)
rich

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2014, 01:17:57 pm »
I bet it did throw a string after it got 20 degrees past 90. Something has to give after the bow bends as far as possible. Maybe recurve the tips a bit and it might stay on out to 24", but I doubt it. Stack city to I bet.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2014, 01:46:59 pm »
Traxx, probably dont have much of anything to teach you about short NA style bows. Got to believe that you have a good handle on short bows ;)

Maybe,maybe not,but i just like to see this stuff posted on here anyway.Since your other build along disappeared,it will be nice to have another to reference.Besides,you never know what you can learn.

Offline half eye

« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2014, 01:55:45 pm »
Got the knocks figured out so I can get it to 25 easy.....got a full draw and 25" on the tree for the sceptics. 25" from a 41+" bow....now thats insane and really not necessary....but the scrap was small so the bow is what is.
rich