Author Topic: new bow and needing help!!!  (Read 1386 times)

Offline OffTiller

new bow and needing help!!!
« on: June 17, 2014, 12:45:46 am »
well, i have almost finished an unbacked hickory mollegabet. I have it tillered better than any bow i have before and don't know what to do next. i know i need to round out the edges but am worried i am going to break another bow, which would be sad considering i have spent 2 weeks on this one. So do i round out the back side edges or leave them sharp? and any techniques that will help me not end up shaky and sad. thanks everyone.
"I seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old, I seek the things they sought."

Offline Crogacht

Re: new bow and needing help!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 12:53:45 am »
Definitely round them a little, sharp edges concentrate stress.

If you're worried just go very gently with light sandpaper etc to take that sharp edge off and remove any tool marks.

Offline OffTiller

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 01:02:53 am »
thanks for the tip. been staring at this thing for an hour.
"I seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old, I seek the things they sought."

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 01:17:52 am »
Thin the tips. No matter what step your at, the next step in making a good molly is to thin the tips ;)

In all seriousness, now that you're sure of the tiller I'd start to be really harsh scrutinizing the tiller. Take pics, trace the profile no paper behind the bow, everything you can think of to try to find something wrong that you can fix. Better now than after it's caused set.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 03:26:00 am »
Personally i'd trap it and then heat treat....but that might be a bit scary!
Don't worry about rounding the back edges off - it will make it more durable.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 07:47:17 am »
The best advise I can give you if you're worried about the bow breaking, is to post plenty of pics here and listen to the guys that will give you advise. If you're not sure what to do next, we Will steer you in the right direction. You need to be hyper critical with a molly's tiller, which is especially difficult for a beginner.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 09:26:47 am »
Got any pics? Unbraced,braced,front profile,n drawn a lil ways..if your still new to this an experienced eye might be able to see something you can't ?  ???

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 09:28:51 am »
I always put my bows on the router table with an 1/8" roundover bit for all of the edges. I'm lazy, and the router is quick. If you don't have a router, 80grit paper on a random orbital sander will work just fine.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Don Case

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 11:51:52 am »
I always put my bows on the router table with an 1/8" roundover bit for all of the edges. I'm lazy, and the router is quick. If you don't have a router, 80grit paper on a random orbital sander will work just fine.

That doesn't sound lazy to me. Three or four passes with a scraper or sandpaper and I'd be done before you got your sander plugged in or your router bit found. ;D ;D For some jobs power tools ain't easier. ;D ;D

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 01:05:01 pm »

Sanding by hand with no powertools to round edges is pretty freakin easy
I like osage

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 01:07:27 pm »
Mr Spring is a board user I believe, hence the straight edge and power tool usage. Why not, your already cheating using boards...;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.