Author Topic: Facebook  (Read 14320 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Re: Facebook
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2014, 03:26:01 am »
I used to be on there.  My wife and I decided that the only thing that ever caused us problems, the only thing we ever really fought about was facebook crap.  Deactivated the accounts and every day has been happy since.  Whoever said that social media can't wreck a marriage has never been stalked by an insane crazy ex. No facebook for me - it lets too many people into your personal life.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2014, 05:54:41 am »
What's face book  ??? :-\  ;) :) :) :) Miss Joanie says this is mine,guess she is about right. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2014, 05:59:26 am »
I joined up a few years ago - all I saw was a bunch of Hens clucking. Haven't been back since - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2014, 07:24:15 am »
C'mon Greg.  Smokey needs his own facebook page  ;D

No kiddin', he is more popular than Greg or Sharon..:) Who doesn't love Smokey?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Marks

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2014, 12:01:16 pm »
PA is my facebook

PA is more like facebook than most of you old timers realize. PA is just simplified Facebook with a theme and direction. Most of you get on here daily to see what your friends have posted about there day and/or to let them know what you are doing. There is a thread title on here called "What did you do today". We like to post pictures about ourselves and our hobbies.  If you need info or have problems you ask questions. Drama gets started from time to time. You get to reconnect with old friends.

I don't want to offend anyone when I say this but the word I'm fixing to use is taken the wrong way often.

I think a lot of the older generation are against certain things because they are 'ignorant' :o of them and how they work. Facebook is a very controlled environment. There are privacy settings to control who can and can't see your info and you can control whose info you see. You can even make it where some friends can see things that other friends can't. If you don't like someone 'unfriend' them or don't accept their friend request. If you get tired of a friend posting about their dog you can 'hide' their posts. If a crazy ex stalks you you can 'block' them. You can also 'block' certain games request if you don't like giving trees.

I do believe FB is generational. Those who grew up before cell phones and social media aren't used to how available and public these things make their lives. Some take to it and others don't. Its a choice but I don't like when the ones who don't choose to partake badmouth those who do.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2014, 12:36:07 pm »
PA is my facebook

PA is more like facebook than most of you old timers realize. PA is just simplified Facebook with a theme and direction. Most of you get on here daily to see what your friends have posted about there day and/or to let them know what you are doing. There is a thread title on here called "What did you do today". We like to post pictures about ourselves and our hobbies.  If you need info or have problems you ask questions. Drama gets started from time to time. You get to reconnect with old friends.

I don't want to offend anyone when I say this but the word I'm fixing to use is taken the wrong way often.

I think a lot of the older generation are against certain things because they are 'ignorant' :o of them and how they work. Facebook is a very controlled environment. There are privacy settings to control who can and can't see your info and you can control whose info you see. You can even make it where some friends can see things that other friends can't. If you don't like someone 'unfriend' them or don't accept their friend request. If you get tired of a friend posting about their dog you can 'hide' their posts. If a crazy ex stalks you you can 'block' them. You can also 'block' certain games request if you don't like giving trees.

I do believe FB is generational. Those who grew up before cell phones and social media aren't used to how available and public these things make their lives. Some take to it and others don't. Its a choice but I don't like when the ones who don't choose to partake badmouth those who do.

I basically agree with you marks
Facebook is no different then this Pa forum other than the mods and I can do my own moderating on face book .
If you have friends that spew junk on facebook they most likely do it in person also, so its your choice whether to hang around them or not .
I am glad to have facebook to keep up with grand kids that live away from here and other friends for that matter , i have friends in many foreign countries that would be hard for me to stay in touch with without facebook , my skills for computer are very lacking and Facebook is easy , I can even put pics on it and that is more than I can say for this site most days !
If Pa did not have this site I would say most of us would be on facebook a whole lot more trying to stay in touch
Take care my friends and stay in touch how ever you may chose to do it just do it !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2014, 12:40:32 pm »
Marks, I'm one of those older gentlemen. The biggest problem that I have with FB is that they are way to big and own for life everything you, your friends, and family ever post on thier site.
I'm old school and leary when any one company or government entity throws too big a loop.
Just my .02
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2014, 02:42:13 pm »
I think we should get a "LIKE" button added to PA... :P
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2014, 03:21:05 pm »
I think we should get a "LIKE" button added to PA... :P
I have said that a few times Myself !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Parnell

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2014, 03:43:19 pm »
I use it all the time but reserve it for friends I grew up with and family mostly.  People I currently spend time with I don't really do, with some exception...
When it turns into something that takes people out of the present is no good, but with family scattered throughout the country and a niece and nephew growing up in London, it's a good and powerful tool for me to connect to their lives. 
1’—>1’

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2014, 07:03:01 pm »
I used to have an account. One day i started un-friending people that aggravated me. By the time I was done there weren't many people left so I deleted my account - if its ever actually completely deleted. It really wasn't hard. I am naturally a loner and just don't care what friends that I haven't seen in 10 years are doing.

The folks that I would like to contact don't use Facebook.

I had friends that I don't agree with politically make some very angry and broad statements about things I believe in. In person, they would never say things to my face, so when I confronted them about it they were taken aback. Apparently if its put on Facebook thats different. Its like an alternate universe where manners and being a man don't matter.

Patrick

Offline Stoker

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2014, 07:11:46 pm »
Don't have facebook personally... Ms Kerrie has one for her montessori.. She posts info for the parents.. We had to cancel the year end bbq today because of rain... Like everything usefull tool if used correctly garbage if abused..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline stickbender

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2014, 07:31:12 pm »

Nope face book is never completely deleted.  I signed back on after deleting everything, and the password, I was going to use, ...... Was already taken, by .....ME!!!"  You can't talk to anyone in admin on face book, you have a problem, too bad.
                                                                              Wayne

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2014, 09:12:39 pm »
PA is my facebook

So what you're saying then is that facebook has no theme or direction, like a ship without a rudder, a car without a steering wheel, an arrow without fletching.  Doesn't sound to good  :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2014, 09:14:44 pm »
Have it and hate it.  Much prefer it over here at PA
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018