Author Topic: Splitting Wood  (Read 5918 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Splitting Wood
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2014, 09:49:51 am »
I split these hickory staves out after kirfing the quarters with a skill saw. I popped a chalk line on them first to have guide to follow with my saw, very straight grained stuff.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2014, 10:56:34 am »
LOL, Pappy. I with you on that one. I try to use a tool for its intended purpose.

No one asked but here goes anyway. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment. :)

I grew up the oldest son of a carpenter. I've been on the wrong end of many a fearsome kick back while using a circular saw. I only use circular saws on dimensional lumber.

I've had some kickbacks using chain saws, too, so I won't use one for kerfing either.

I used to kerf  using a hatchet but don't do that anymore either. When I layout a bow I follow that lateral grain up the stave and that's where the wood split anyway.

Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2014, 12:34:13 pm »
I wouldn't use a circular saw to cut a log unless I had a way of holding the log. I have worked with lots of types of power tools over the years, and have yet to have an accident with one. But I chalk that up to not using tools for things other than what they are intended for (for the most part). I need a good work surface to split staves and to work on things. So far I have a chair and a c clamp. Or in the case of the Russian olive log, the ground.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.