Author Topic: Splitting Wood  (Read 5919 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Splitting Wood
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 11:56:51 am »
Being a mechanic for 40+ years ,I use a screw driver for what it is made for,screws. ;) ;D ;D I also have made some thin wedges and use them for splitting.  :) Sorry Pearl  ;) but it really bugs me to see folks hammering on
screw drivers. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 11:59:31 am »
You ol' stickler pappy! I use junk, stripped out screwdrivers, not any of my good ones. Some don't even have handles anymore.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 12:11:01 pm »
  Pappy, I spent 40 plus years twisting wrenches also and know exactly what you mean. I have one of those expensive german axes and everytime I hit the back of it with a metal hammer to start a split I get a big twang of guilt! Seems like everytime I need my dead blow hammer I can't find it.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 12:31:31 pm »
I cut a kirf with my chainsaw  for the first split on all big logs.

Sometimes on a piggy back stave on stuff that really splits easily, I will start the split, put the blade of a mattock in the split crossways (stave back down, belly up) and use the handle as a pry bar to turn the blade like a giant fro. On that rare osage that splits with the grain cleanly I can pop off a belly split in a minute or so by advancing my mattock. 

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 12:39:12 pm »
I use dull metal ones. Never sharpen them. I split mostly black locust, vine maple, and ash, with a couple big elms in the mix.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Don Case

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 12:41:22 pm »
I have these. The fallers here pound them into the kerf to force leaning trees in the desired direction. They are made of nylon or some such. Don't damage your axe. Tough as nails. Light.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2014, 12:59:26 pm »
Stihl makes some of those Don. Ive been tempted to try one, you sold me!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2014, 01:01:51 pm »
I split a black locust for 4 hours yesterday, bottom log was 17" diam.  I am feeling it today?
I have a really long heavy machete I use to get it started, to hopefully insure the first split halves it. Then two 6lb wedges, a sledge hammer, and a bathtub of elbow grease  ;)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2014, 01:08:46 pm »
I use an ax head with a 6" handle as a starter wedge.  Then I use steel wedges the rest of the way.  I have been using 3 wedges but on a big gnarly osage log I would often get all of them stuck.  I found a good deal on some used ones and now I have 6.  I have plans to make an elevated splitting station next to my shop.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline dwardo

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2014, 05:20:06 pm »
I use my scandi GB and and a hatchet plus wooden wedges. I have used metal wedges but you need to use a suitable whacking implement, never hit something like an axe on an axe, hammer on axe. If "tempers" are close you risk metal shrapnel flying off and injuring you. Always much safer with metal on wood. Wedges take minutes to make with an axe.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2014, 05:29:28 pm »
Like Clint I use a short 6" wide axe head to start my splits and then metal wedges and sharp hatchet for the rest and stringers. Got smart and quit working on the ground and use large unsplit firewood to elevate the log. Ready for a long hydraulic wood splitter next ;D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2014, 06:25:36 pm »
The reason I asked is there is a Documentary on Netflix called Happy People, about Siberian trappers. One of the men makes a pair of Ski's and used wood from the tree he cuts down to make wedges to slit it, and not tear the grain. I have never split anything I wanted to use for anything but fuel, so I have only used metal wedges. At work we do use the "Plastic" wedges when we get a saw stuck. They are very tough.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 09:02:00 am »
What is everyones thought on using a band say to cut staves? Is is more preferable to split them by hand? Just curious.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 09:14:54 am »
Depending on the log,if it is straight grain like a lot of Hickory/Elm/Hackberry and several others I sometimes use a band saw,depending on my mood and how big the log is to start. If it has any character/knots/wavy grain or twist I always split. ;) :) :) I love the band saw when I can use it,saves a ton of time and you can come up with more bang for you buck.  :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 09:21:49 am »
I made me a copuple of dogwood wedges cause I hate the sound of metal banging on metal. They work just great on every wood I tried so far. I usually get an initial gap with an axe hit and then jam in the wedge.

Don't shoot!