Author Topic: Honey Locust  (Read 3071 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Honey Locust
« on: June 25, 2014, 12:43:57 pm »
I may have the opportunity to get a whole trees worth of honey locust. Is it any good? It is a 20+ year old tree, so lots of wood.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Honey Locust
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 02:01:59 pm »
Never used it, but never heard a good word about it either.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 02:40:34 pm »
I cut some a couple years ago.  Most of it twisted so bad that I ended up using it for firewood.  I did save one stave that was not twisted quite as bad - but I have not done anything with it yet.  If you end up cutting it, I would try and dry it slowly.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 02:46:18 pm »
I've seen good bows made with honey locust but I've never built one. Its worth giving it a try.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 07:35:39 pm »
I made one. I think it was 44# @28.  Shot good, but eventually chrysled if I recall.

gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 07:39:22 pm »
I made a couple one I made when I first started making bows I backed it with fiberglass tape it cracked on the back when I let a buddy draw it I then made another a year later with same wood it lasted a few months even stuck a few carp with it then one day blew up so idk it can make decent bows I'm sure with someone better then me making them
I like osage

Offline Cade

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 01:46:20 am »
I have not used it but have heard it is definitely not as hard as BL and you have to leave it wide. There is lots if honey locust (we call it thorny locust here) where I live and want to try it some day. Keep us posted if it works out.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 08:48:57 am »
The Arborist I work with is going to remove a big tree. A garbage truck cut a corner short and ripped the bark off about 4 feet up. It is about a 12 or 14 inch trunk now, with the limbs of the tree being from 8 to 4 inches. He also is keeping anything that is straight for me from the other trees in the city. He gave me 3 Silver maple logs yesterday.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 09:53:45 am »
Silver maple is not bow wood, very soft. Doesn't make very good firewood either, burns up quickly like cardboard.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 10:17:53 am »
It is very knotty anyhow. I doubt it will split straight. I was planning on using it for handles and such.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 11:04:50 am »
Here's a great information page that Jackcrafty put together for new folks. I look it over occasionally to refresh something I haven't done in a while. Lots of great tutorial links here as well. Hope this helps!

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,39116.0.html

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956