Author Topic: Splitting Wood  (Read 5917 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Splitting Wood
« on: June 17, 2014, 08:55:12 am »
So as I have never used split wood for anything other than burning, do you split wood with Wood wedges, or metal one? I think wood doesn't cut through the grain, and allows you to "Follow" the grain? Thanks again for the years of blisters and F words to teach me in a faster, less abusive manner.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Splitting Wood
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 08:58:32 am »
I use all steel everything. It works just fine. If you don't have steel, use wood and make extras.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 09:19:42 am »
Metal for me cus I split a lot of Osage  8)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 09:28:41 am »
I use metal for the first splits but often use wood wedges when I am splitting off core splits for piggy back staves. The wedges I use are small wedge shaped cutoffs left over from when I cut splices on billets.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 09:46:18 am »
Steel ones.
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 09:57:58 am »
safety glasses, leather gloves, 2 steel wedges, a hatchet and a small hand sledge. I straddle the log. I start the split on the small end with the hatchet and then alternate all 3 up the log. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B.

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 10:13:45 am »
Yep, more muscle of steel, lol...

I've split a few knarly ones over the last few months because there's not much to choose from around here.  On one big log I had 4 steel wedges buried and had to sit and consider my options.. Was about ready to burn the whole dam thing but using up my last little iota of patience I was able to get one wedge loose and eventually get the log halved...  No staves were hidden in this old twisted up monster, or none that this novice wanted to tackle but there were a handfull of billets...   Man, is this fun or what? ;D
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 10:33:38 am by Pat B. »
Friends are the family we choose

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 10:34:49 am »
Pat he is talking about wedges splitting the wood, not dry heat.....;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B.

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 10:43:09 am »
Umm, yeah, sometimes, "s----heat happens" !!   LOL

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 10:45:05 am »
     I made up a bunch of mini wedges I use for more precision splitting like belly splits or halving staves. They are about 4" long 1/2" wide and 1/8" thick cold roll steel. They work very well on osage.

Offline Pat B.

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 10:47:25 am »
Badger, did you heat 'em and beat 'em to get the taper ?

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 10:51:31 am »
Pat, I just ground a single bevel about 1/2 long. Only 1/8" thick so no taper really needed.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 10:53:48 am »
I use a screw driver for that same type of work Steve. I get the split started, then turn the screw driver sideways and hammer the shank down through for a clean break. Seems to work great when I need a belly split.

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 10:59:00 am »
I use a screw driver for that same type of work Steve. I get the split started, then turn the screw driver sideways and hammer the shank down through for a clean break. Seems to work great when I need a belly split.

Thats what gave me the idea for these little splitters. If I make a new set they will be 1/4" thick and have about 1" taper. As narrow as screwdrivers or small wedges are it is much easier to follow a radial grain.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 11:55:38 am »
I kerf cut all my logs now and use mostly wood wedges with a small hand sledge and keep a machete or small hatchet handy.  I also use a crowbar and pry bars
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com